1997 - 2003 F-150

Front Hub Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Hub Replacement

Hey guys so I went to replace my left front hub today and everything went fine until I went to take the 3 bolts off on the back. Not only were they partially rounded over when I went to take them out but they are so rusted in there that I am not sure if I can get them out. Also (which I am sure anyone who has attempted this knows) you can't get a ratchet and socket to them. So my question is is there any way to get these things out? I haven't put heat to them yet and I think that even if I do I won't get enough torque to them with the open-ended wrench. Is it possible to cut the heads off? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 09-22-2014, 12:33 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
I work on a progressive basis as well.
That means try the normal ways then progressively go to more and more radical means to accomplish things.
You have to make repairs so clear out the area and try shielding what should not get hot and use the torch to trim the heads off.
The replacements bolts are metric so get them from Ford to be sure of strength and safety afterward.
Just a hint for others; never heat a stock lower or upper ball joint trying to get it loose.
Reason is when the material inside expands from the heating, the joint 'self seals' and will blow up with huge intensity that could kill when it blows apart..
Those joints with grease ports are less likely to do this especially if the grease fitting has been removed.
Good luck.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the advise. Do you think grinding them off would work as well? I don't have easy access to a torch. I am having some trouble finding bolts too. Hopefully I can find them and get them here by next weekend so I can replace this thing.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:43 PM
i would drill into the heads and try and easy out extractor or just as you said cut the heads off and go from there

Quick Reply: Front Hub Replacement