1997 - 2003 F-150

Battery disconnect - Radio problem?

Old 08-26-2014, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery disconnect - Radio problem?

Hi all,

Serviced my 2003 Harley, but still have the service engine soon light. If I disconnect the battery this should clear (Mustangs used to do this), but I was wondering if I'll have any issues with the radio -- will I need a code to restart it?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know when I leave my truck sitting with the battery disconnected it does not do anything to the radio.

I have a 07 though.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
If you properly "serviced" it, the light will go off. That light doesn't mean it's time to change the oil, it means the computer has detected an issue. Take it to Autozone or something and have the codes read\reset, or shell out ~$50 for a cheap code reader.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:35 PM
You'll have to disconnect it for about ten minutes or so. It'll clear the light, but only for about 30 miles until the computer detects the problem again.

But no, it won't affect the radio.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:03 PM
Right, I'll get the codes checked, but it was a complete service in a shop including new spark plugs.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:10 PM
Old 08-26-2014, 09:41 PM
Did you get the truck serviced because of the light? If so, then take the truck back and have them resolve the issue.

Any OBDII reader will work, but it will just output a code, and you will have to Google the definition. The high-end ones are able to display definitions and diagnostic info.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:05 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
How about some indepth info on this!
The PCM needs power to hold it's 'keep alive memory' (KAM) and to hold it's operating tables each time the ignition is shut down.
In addition it holds any codes set in diagnostic memory.
If power is totally removed by battery disconnection, all these tables and info are lost. It only takes less than a minute or two, not 10 minutes or any long time interval.
If your worried about this get a 9 volt battery tool for plugging into the cigar lighter to hold power to KAM if the battery needs to be disconnected for some other reason.
More info: If power is removed from the PCM it causes the loss of code data and stored misfire data and 'zeros' the operating tables back to stock as built, to be rebuilt again from driving cycles.
As far as a diagnostic failure, it depends on what the failure is as to how fast it sets again.
For example a 401 EGR fault code takes two drive cycles to set by design so you cannot say a code will return in 30 miles or any other distance, especially the EVAP system that could take days or weeks depending on the drive cycles and any issue detected.
Lastly, any power removal OR clear function triggers the PCM into full diagnostics such that you must wait for all to complete before the code 1000 clears. The code 1000 never triggers the CEL but only seen with a good Scanner or Reader.
For Radio, only the station memory on the buttons is lost.
The radio has no other main code to worry about.
Good luck.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:42 AM
Hi all,

Bought a proper reader and the code was 04060. Getting this looked at. Not sure if my Prins LPG conversion is a contributing factor.

Fitted the radio with no problems. Quite an achievement for me!

Old 09-06-2014, 03:50 AM
Originally Posted by AndersonS
Did you get the truck serviced because of the light? If so, then take the truck back and have them resolve the issue.

Any OBDII reader will work, but it will just output a code, and you will have to Google the definition. The high-end ones are able to display definitions and diagnostic info.
I had the truck fully serviced because I had just bought it and I suspected it hadn't been looked at in a long time. I was correct because the plugs were the originals and coated in red rust when removed (I should have taken a photo).

The first reader I bought didn't work, but the second did. It produced a 0460 code. The fuel sensor error. I wondered if this might be because I have an LPG conversion alongside the fuel tank. Now I know what the code was, I cleared it and it hasn't come on since. I intend to get it looked at regardless.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery disconnect - Radio problem?