1997 - 2003 F-150

Emergency Brake stuck.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emergency Brake stuck.

I stepped on the E brake and now it wont release. I suspect its corroded to hell. Any info on the mechanism before i go diving into the footwell??

Old 07-31-2014, 11:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's probably not stuck at the pedal, that's just a symptom.

Go under the truck and look at the rear axle, there should be a cable coming out of each backing plate. That is what operates the parking brake. Look at the sheath for the cables to see if they are chaffed or any corrosion. Squirt a little lubricant into the sheath where the cable comes out of the sheath, if you can.

Then follow the cables toward the front of the truck to where they come together and there should be a lever/arm they attach to, make sure it isn't bent or rusted, then squirt the pivot points with a little lubricant.

If the cables are frayed they will hang up and need to be replaced. For the lube you can use WD-40 at this point, but it isn't really a very good lubricant. But you're just trying to break it loose for now.

If you can't get it freed up then the issue is probably inside the brakes. Drums are different than disc, but they can both freeze up inside.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:02 PM
Thank you!! I will give that a go tonight!!

Old 08-18-2014, 09:27 PM
if it is the e brake, an old trick I learned years ago from my pappaw was hit the rear wheels with a rubber mallet pretty good. one good shot always freed them up in my experience

Old 08-18-2014, 10:08 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
If they have not been serviced for a long long time chances are the hardware is all rusted and frozen.
On a rear disc truck they often come apart and jamb up because the parts cannot get out of the space.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Emergency Brake stuck.