1997 - 2003 F-150

2001 5.4 screw randomly dies while driving, pats keeps from restarting sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 11:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We'll .... my buddy thinks he found his problem.

He and I read several places where people with a similar problem had a bad PCM relay.

He's had his truck since new in '03 but he had no clue there was a power panel under the hood. He found it ........ and when he located the PCM relay he pressed down and it pushed down and seated in the receptacle. Yep ..... for some reason his PCM relay was not fully seated.

It's only been a little over 24 hours but he has driven quite a bit with no problems.

Pretty simple. I wish everyone the same luck.

He's been through a lot of stress the past year and fearful of driving any distance or very often at all.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad you issue was that easy. I hope that works. Over the last week my truck has been having a more consistent issue. After about one or two miles the Tachometer will start jumping. It clicks and jumps from zero to about 1500. during this time the engine runs bad and seems to shift and tries to die. I found that if i keep on the gas it will last about 1 minute then go back to normal. Unfortunately in the city you cant always stay on the gas. If i let off tthe gas or come to a stop it just turns off. Going to pull dash and column apart today and see about any chaffed wires or harnesses.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok so I believe the problem has been found. I finally took it to the dealer because i was fed up with trying to figure it out. I was happy that they had some trouble finding the problem as well. They eventually narrowed it down to the PCM. They wanted to test it thoroughly before changing it. when the pulled it out they found a JET programmer chip attached. They went ahead and removed it and could no longer duplicate my problem. They did not charge me because they could not confirm the solution. So far it has been a week and no problems.

Quick Reply: 2001 5.4 screw randomly dies while driving, pats keeps from restarting sometimes