1997 - 2003 F-150

Help Me Keep My 2002 Lariat ....

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Me Keep My 2002 Lariat ....

Ok, this is the longest I have gone sticking with a truck before selling/buying, 10 years. Bought my 2003 f150 Lariat crew cab used with @20,000 miles. Drove it daily until 60k miles. Has 95k now. It is my weekend truck and travel vehicle for the family. Has 4x4, undercover cover with a factory liner, 5.4 liter automatic, newer slotted brake pads. No know issues. Never really had any issues. Well actually the drivers side seat belt has started releasing on its own while I am driving. Need to sort that out. Everything is factory other than a k&n air filter. Truck still runs great. However I have the fever for something different, actually had it for a while but keep fighting it off. To get a truck as well outfitted even used with less than 50k miles or so is not cheap and condition would mostly be unknown.

So, thinking of what I should do to freshen the truck up and looking for ideas.

Better exhaust maybe? Or is that worth it at this point?

Definitely a full-blown detail including engine bay?

What about something to remove the surface rust on the underside of the truck? What could be done for that?

Inexpensive option to add a integrated navigation system to replace factory radio cd setup?

where to get a reasonable oem replacement steering wheel as mine is a little worn in spots?

Other ideas.

THANKS

Old 04-19-2014, 08:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This is what I did when my 255,000 mile 97 F150 was still a great driver and did all I asked it to do, but I was wanting a new ride after owning it for almost 13 years... I never really felt this with the 04-10 F150's, but when the 11 came out with the 5.0 and the Eco, I started to drool a bit more....

Ended up with this.... Sure, it cost me a more than I've ever spent on a vehicle before, but I'm a happy camper now...

I did have to trade in the 97 to get it, but I got over it pretty quick...

It's actually a GREEN truck... This angle makes it look like it's BLACK...

Can't tell you how much I'm impressed with this truck... The 3.5 Eco is simply amazing in power and economy compared to my old 5.4.. And the 5.4 was the most powerful V8 I've owned to that point....

I don't like car payments again, but so far, I've made 2 payments and actually smiled when I made them! What does that tell you!

Anyway, if you can afford it, check out the new F150's and you'll forget all about trying to 'upgrade' your 12 year old truck...

Mitch

Last edited by MitchF150; 04-19-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It only has 95k on it. It's still got many more miles left on it and with the price of new I dont think its worth it.. Go out and freshen it up. Get some new shocks and some new tires. Give everything a nice detail. That truck will give you another 10 years.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:43 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Just think about how many hours you will have to work to buy a new truck!

I have an 02 and the two things that would make me like it better are 4.10 gears and larger brakes.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by Roadie
Just think about how many hours you will have to work to buy a new truck!

I have an 02 and the two things that would make me like it better are 4.10 gears and larger brakes.
I'm with Roadie. Thinking about how much a new (to me) truck would cost when you have a fantastic truck right now would be all it would take.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:19 AM

Exhausts are only ever for sound, so if you want it for that, definitely get it. But for performance, save your money.

Maybe add a tuner with custom tunes for performance. That's the best money you can spend for performance because of new trans mapping. Next thing would be re-gearing, but that's only worth it (to me) if you had 2WD. It's almost $2k to re-gear a 4x4.

Full detail with buff, wax, etc. will go a long way. Lord knows my 06 needs that treatment.

If you want a touch screen radio, get one. But if you actually navigation, they're all over priced and IMO, they all suck. Even factory Nav is not worth the money. Tom Toms, Garmins, etc. are just as good or better, travel from car-to-car, and are 1/3 to 1/10 the price. And a smart phone is better than ALL of them.

Rust - I live in Texas and don't know.

Steering wheel - eBay and salvage yards would be the only place I'd know to look. I feel a new one would come at an exorbitant price.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 04-20-2014 at 01:22 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:57 AM
Thanks everyone. All good thoughts. I did look at the Ford Eco-Truck and it's still in the running if I buy something, but for now think I'll start with a total detail of the truck first and see what it looks like. I did the same thing on my '97 extended cab before I sold it and almost didn't let it go.

Hadn't thought about a performance chip in a while. Does the factory single exhaust typically need "help" after going with a chip mod? Maybe depends on the chip?

Also looked at trying the newer undercover flip model as that would be more useful that the classic undercover, but it looks like they don't have them for the 2002 crew cab. Not a big deal.

Thanks

Old 04-20-2014, 10:31 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
They don't use "chips" these days, they use programmers through the OBD2 port.

Best way to take care of surface rust under the vehicle is with POR-15.

The only reason to put an exhaust on is for sound. Performance improvements are just about non-existent unless you go all the way with headers and high flow cats and a custom intake. Not worth the expense in my opinion, a programmer and custom tunes is a lot more cost-effective.

I would recommend you replace the K&N with a dry filter for better filtration and eliminate the risk of oil fouling the MAF. You could do the "Gotts" mod to the stock airbox.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...3-f-150-a.html

Old 04-20-2014, 10:51 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Definitely go for a tuner. I have one in my truck and that is why I didn't mention it. A tuner is the only mod my truck has. Mine is a Superchips and I'm very happy with the results I got with it. A forum member sold it to me saving me a few bucks on the price. I fiddled with the transmission settings and went back to the stock settings but it really helped the engine improving the throttle response/hp and improved the fuel economy a little.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:07 AM

Yeah, an SCT with custom-written tunes would be the way to go. I didn't notice jack with long tube headers, no cats, and custom tunes as far as power, but I do really like the new trans shift points, etc. Most folks note power gains though, I just personally didn't.

Quick Reply: Help Me Keep My 2002 Lariat ....