1997 - 2003 F-150

Dads truck wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dads truck wont start

Hello
My dad has a F150 1999 and he has had this issue a few times in the last month. It just wont start. It cranks but wont fire. He had it towed to his local repair shop and they started it right up. They kept it for a few days and said they checked it over and could not find any thing wrong with it. Started right up for them. They said maybe a fuel pump. It was fine for a few weeks and now its dead in his garage. He takes care of it. Before he dumps 400-500 in a fuel pump does any one here have any suggestions on what to check?
My past experience with fuel pumps they work or don't.
Thanks

Old 01-20-2014, 02:27 PM
check to see if its getting fuel when it wont start, there are nozzles with valve stems on the fuel rails that you can press the valve stem in and fuel squirts out, if it does then you know the fuel pumps good as you are getting fuel. post the results here and we will be able to help you more after that.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:16 PM
Trying to get that info but the truck is my dads and I am not near it at the moment. I asked him to check and he said no fuel came out. But thats if he is checking the correct spot. From that I would gather its the fuel pump but I dont know if the f150 will drain back once shut off.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:25 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
When you turn the key on, you should hear the fuel pump run for a couple seconds to prime the rail.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by glc
When you turn the key on, you should hear the fuel pump run for a couple seconds to prime the rail.
theres an easier less messy way lol i always go for the more difficult ways for some reason

Old 01-20-2014, 04:57 PM
I have asked me to listen for the fuel pump in the past. He always says he has never heard in since he bought the truck new.
When it died in my drive way I messed with it. Swapped out relays, checked all the fuses and nothing. It was dead. I didnt check the fuel rail at the time. Motor was hot hot hot. I never heard the fuel pump be he said neither has he.
His repair shop found nothing wrong and it ran great again for a few weeks. Now its dead again. Not around the corner from me. So I am trying to figure it out before I drop the tank and swap out a pump. Looking for any Fork related items to look for.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gixer
I have asked me to listen for the fuel pump in the past. He always says he has never heard in since he bought the truck new.
When it died in my drive way I messed with it. Swapped out relays, checked all the fuses and nothing. It was dead. I didnt check the fuel rail at the time. Motor was hot hot hot. I never heard the fuel pump be he said neither has he.
His repair shop found nothing wrong and it ran great again for a few weeks. Now its dead again. Not around the corner from me. So I am trying to figure it out before I drop the tank and swap out a pump. Looking for any Fork related items to look for.
Did the shop dear ole dad took it too ever test the fuel pressure...curious as to what they found, ( actual readings). Needs to be +30 PSI

Has he tried to cycle the key on and off a few times, ( just to "ON" not all the way to start), then try to start...to see if it will start then?

Is there any dash lights flashing during this "no start condition"?

Did the shop get to use the same Key or the spare key that don't get used too much?

I would have 1st suspected the fuses and relays too...but you mentioned that you swapped them out.

has anybody checked for vacuum leaks?

Old 01-20-2014, 05:12 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
It can take 2 people to listen for the fuel pump - one sitting inside the truck to turn the key and one to stand outside and listen.

Most parts stores have fuel pressure gauges in their tool loaner kit, hook that up to the rail and turn the key on. You should see 30 to 40 psi.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:13 PM
Did the shop dear ole dad took it too ever test the fuel pressure...curious as to what they found, ( actual readings). Needs to be +30 PSI
I was told they checked it but I dont know any actual readings.

Has he tried to cycle the key on and off a few times, ( just to "ON" not all the way to start), then try to start...to see if it will start then?
I did when it died in my driveway and nothing.

Is there any dash lights flashing during this "no start condition"?
None Nothing out of the ordinary

Did the shop get to use the same Key or the spare key that don't get used do much?
They used the same key. I have messed with it with both keys he has.

I would have 1st suspected the fuses and relays too...but you mentioned that you swapped them out.

has anybody checked for vacuum leaks?
I don't know if the shop did. I have not yet.

Last edited by gixer; 01-20-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
90 percent chaance its the fuel pump. Slim chance its something else. All that has to be done is checking the pumps operation during the no start the wat everyone already said. If it wwere me I'd just order a pump and eliminate that because there is a very high probability thats the issue.

Quick Reply: Dads truck wont start