Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F-150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

1997 - 2003 F-150 SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 12-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Truck rocks back and forth when coming to a stop

Hi all. I recently bought a 2002 F-150 4x4 extended cab, 5.4L XLT Sport 6.5ft bed. It has 81K on it. One thing I noticed is that when I brake and come to a complete stop the truck has a bit of a rocking feeling right after it comes to a complete stop. I would equate it to the feeling of being in a bathtub and the water waves going back and forth from front to back of the tub if you slide your body across the tub. Should I presume the shocks are probably toast? Riding along the road it drives pretty smooth. Any tests I could try to confirm shocks are gone? I know putting your weight on each corner of the truck and rocking it and see if it settles after 1 or 2 rocks applies to older trucks. Does this test apply to ours as well? Any guidance is appreciated.

The previous owner said the front drivers side rotor might be a little warped from new brakes put on. He said you sometimes feel a pulse when braking but only at highway speeds. I have yet to take the truck up to highway speeds to experience this. I doubt this is related to my problem but want to provide full disclosure.

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:36 PM
2007 Ford F-150
My Garage

Vehicle: 2007 Ford F150
I'm pretty sure the jump on the bumper and see if it stops still exists

1 bounce is really all it should take or a very very small second movement not even a bounce I would call it.

Have you tried doing that test yet?

2007 F150 XLT 4x4
Drivetrain - Gotts Mod, Custom Tune's PHP Edge CTS, Roush Off Road Cat Back, Ceramic Brake Pads BrakePerformance.com Slotted and Dimpled up front Slotted in the rear
Interior - Weather Tech mats
Exterior - Rough Country 6" Lift, Moto Metal MO951 18x9" Chrome Rims, Toyo Open Country M/T's 35"x12.50, HID Headlights + Fogs from TRS, LED Turn signals and brake lights, PlasmaGlow under tailgate light, PIAA 1500 reverse lights
Old 12-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Garage is empty, add now

No, not really. I will tonight when I get home. However I did try bouncing up and down in the drivers seat last night and it seems to bounce around a bit. Certainly more than I would expect. I'm only around 170lbs too.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:48 PM
2007 Ford F-150
My Garage

Vehicle: 2007 Ford F150
Haha I'm 225 wonder what it would do with me

I'd say some new shocks are in your future
Old 12-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2009 Ford F150
If you have OE shocks, for sure they have been shot for quite a while. That is what would cause the rocking motion. Unfortunately due to the stiff springs etc on these trucks the bounce test of pushing the bumper up and down does not work, but just the fact that you are getting that rocking motion tells me the shocks are gone.

As far as the brake rotor is concerned, make sure that the lug nuts are torqued to the proper number, 150 ft lbs. Uneven torque on the lug nuts is the main reason for the rotor to warp.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks guys. Just bought a set of Bilstein's.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:42 PM