1997 - 2003 F-150

98 F150 5.4L Leak behind engine

Old 12-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 F150 5.4L Leak behind engine

My Heater hasn't worked for a bout a month now. By "hasn't worked" I mean it would work on low or if I turned it off then turned it back on. Then it would work for a brief period. I figured it was because the truck had water in the radiator and had planned on fixing that tomorrow anyway. (3rd owner hardships)

Last night after work I fired the truck up and a mist of antifreeze blew out of the dashboard. This lead me to believe that the Heater Core had sprung a leak. Today while doing an arron for work I noticed I had trails of rust water running from my floor vents, another sign of a bad heater core. Well as soon as I got back and shut of the truck I checked for leaks. After inspecting all I could find I didn't see any. When I came back out after work I had a big puddle behind my front passenger tire. When checking for leaks I noticed a trail of rusty water down the side of the frame between the exhaust shield and the frame. I also noticed a trail down the back side of the bell housing.

I'm not sure if I have multiple things wrong with this truck or if the heater coil could be the result for all of them.

Pics:

98 F150 5.4L Leak behind engine-i0uyr08.jpg
Behind the transmission
98 F150 5.4L Leak behind engine-krm12g7.jpg
Between the frame and the exhaust heat shield
98 F150 5.4L Leak behind engine-j0mazow.jpg
Passenger side floor vent
98 F150 5.4L Leak behind engine-3extvrs.jpg
Driver side floor vent.

Note: there is a puddle in side the vent box.

Update: It doesn't seem to leak when the heater is actually going. It only seems to leak when I turn the heater off and not before. Not too sure why. I haven't found any leaks in the hoses.

Last edited by Shadow_Death; 12-12-2013 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Updated

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 F150 5.4L Leak behind engine