1997 - 2003 F-150

Rear axle seal leaking

Old 03-26-2013, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear axle seal leaking

Just noticed my driver's side rear axle seal is leaking oil. How involved of a job is it to replace this? Does it require any special tools? Considering my only day off this week is Friday and nothing is open, I'm kinda screwed. Is there a write up on doing this job? I tried a quick search and didn't really come up with anything.

'03 F-150 4X4

Old 03-26-2013, 05:40 PM
Here is a right up on how to replace axle seals and bearings on an 04+ but I am almost positive its the same rear end in your 03. I would definitely do both seals since your going to be in there. The seals themselves are only about $7. It took the guy at the shop about an hour to do both mine.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...lots-pics.html

Old 03-26-2013, 05:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Its not that hard. You have to pull the axles and to do that the brakes need to be undone the axle housing cover has to come off and there are 2 clips 1 holding each axle that get popped out I use the right stuff gasket maker for the rear end housing and fill it with the recommended oil put the brake back together and your done.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you replace the bearings too...then you'd wise to rent the bearing puller. but the seals should be easier to replace, if you just want to do the seals.

yeah follow like what jethat & Tomzilla83 said. It's not that hard of a deal....I did mine in the middle of Jan last yr and it was like -10F ....the good news was that I was in a garage, the bad news was it was unheated...I was still done around 4-5 hrs doing bearings and seals...& taking breaks to warm up. Considering I hadn't done it before and it was less then prime temps...I did OK

Old 03-27-2013, 02:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it's a l/s, replace the friction modifier also.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:30 PM
One thing to remember if you do yours, make sure you have room on the side of the truck if you do it inside a garage. You sure don't want to get everything ready to pull the axle out and then find you will hit a wall, tool chest, etc.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:47 PM
My son's 2003 passenger side seal is leaking. I have bought everything to do it, but can't decide if I should do the bearings as well while I am in there. Truck has 237,000 miles. Bearings or no bearings?

Old 03-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bearings.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by texas6680
My son's 2003 passenger side seal is leaking. I have bought everything to do it, but can't decide if I should do the bearings as well while I am in there. Truck has 237,000 miles. Bearings or no bearings?
Do the bearings, you're already there. If they're the originals its even more motivation to do it.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by texas6680
Might as well replace them while you're in there. Not that much more work involved.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:50 AM
Definitely do the bearings. I haven't owned my '99 more than a year, but right when I got it I noticed the drivers side rear axle seal was leaking. I've been having some annoying vibration issues (ended up being the tires) and in searching the whole truck to find the problem, I ended up going to Ford, and they checked the rear axle seal, the bearing was also shot and did a nice number to my rear axle. Ended up replacing the rear axle, seals, and bearings.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by ckgreenstep
Definitely do the bearings. I haven't owned my '99 more than a year, but right when I got it I noticed the drivers side rear axle seal was leaking. I've been having some annoying vibration issues (ended up being the tires) and in searching the whole truck to find the problem, I ended up going to Ford, and they checked the rear axle seal, the bearing was also shot and did a nice number to my rear axle. Ended up replacing the rear axle, seals, and bearings.
Just an FYI for those who have trucks/cars where a shot axle bearing pitted or scuffed up the axle. If the damage to the axle is minimal, not deep grooves or gouges, Timken and other bearing manufacturers developed "axle saver" bearings to help save the axle from replacement. Basically, these modified bearing shift the contact patch onto an axle surface where there is no wear.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:46 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
a failed bearing collapses under the weight. The axle shaft goes up in the tube, and thus helps a leak form below it.

The bearings are likely to have failed, and the seal is just a symptom. You need to replace the bearings while you're in there

Old 07-01-2013, 01:13 AM
Try blowing out your vent, I work at a Toyota dealership and over half the time someone comes in with a "leaking seal" you can bet the vent is plugged. You can even hear the pressure escape as you free up the vent. People come in all the time "I just had my axle seals replaced and theyre still leaking" sure enough whoever did the axle seal never bothered to check the vent and thats all it needed, its gotta escape somewhere, seals the next weak point.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jutwan88
Try blowing out your vent, I work at a Toyota dealership and over half the time someone comes in with a "leaking seal" you can bet the vent is plugged. You can even hear the pressure escape as you free up the vent. People come in all the time "I just had my axle seals replaced and theyre still leaking" sure enough whoever did the axle seal never bothered to check the vent and thats all it needed, its gotta escape somewhere, seals the next weak point.

I had my passenger/driver side seals and bearings replaced by a buddy about 2 yrs ago since I was laid up with knee surgery. Noticed when I got my new wheels put on last month that side was leaking again and only had a few thousand miles on it since they were replaced. ( They were as I bought the parts and watched them go on ). I just pulled my vent line to check and it was on stuck solid on the axle and hat to cut the tubing to get it off as it was sealed all up on the nipple. Got the top plastic piece popped out of bed bottom and tried to blow through it....plugged solid with no air flow. Beat the hose on the ground and a mud plug busted out along with all sorts of grit and crap. Cleaned out the tube and reinstalled it as well as cleaned axle area near leak off. Hopefully this new small leak was caused by this pressure build up and will save me some cash on new oil and seal...We will see.... Thanks for the tip to check...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear axle seal leaking