1997 - 2003 F-150

2002 Ford F150 4x4 shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Ford F150 4x4 shifting problems

My truck is pulsating at 1000 -1500 RPMs when I slightly press the gas. If I do not press the gas, it does not do this. I have a 5.4L engine with an automatic transmission.

Also, my ABS light is on as well, but I am not sure if it is a related issue or not.

Has anyone else had this problem and/or does anyone know what my problem may be?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-TheDuke-

Old 11-28-2012, 04:35 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
When was the last time you changed the spark plugs?

Old 11-28-2012, 08:53 AM
I havent. I just bought this truck a few months ago. I have also read on other threads that some people have had a fuel filter replaced, and the tranny fluids replaced. Im just not sure which i want to go with. If i were to replace the plugs, which do you recommend?

Old 11-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Motorcraft plugs.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by -TheDuke-
I havent. I just bought this truck a few months ago. I have also read on other threads that some people have had a fuel filter replaced, and the tranny fluids replaced. Im just not sure which i want to go with. If i were to replace the plugs, which do you recommend?
EVERYTHING. The first thing to do after making a purchase like this is to go thru it. Take care of all the maintenance parts first to bring everything up to snuff. Get that assurance behind you and if there's still a problem, go from there.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:49 PM
I had taken it through a few mud holes, and managed to break my rear end. I got that all fixed for about $3,000 though. Then after that, the abs light came on so i took it back to the same shop and they said it was a speed sensor in the front left tire, but that didnt "have" to be replaced. So i left it as is for the time being. (Im only 17 and between gas, insurance and the payment i dont have much left from my pay checks) I just took it to another shop earlier tonight and they said it could either be from the plugs, oil needing to be changed, or a transmission setting but since they had a full line right at closing, they wernt able to hook the computer up to it. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again

Old 11-29-2012, 12:04 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Duke, i'm not trying to insult you but at 17 your trying to play a very expensive game that already cost you in repairs about as much as the truck is worth.
Without knowing much about how to work on the truck, it's expensive running to a shop everytime something happens. You are getting to that point already that you can't aford it, by the sounds of it.
What does pulsating mean?
At a stop, at cruise?
Are you trying to say missfire/stumble ?
As to the ABS, if the rear was worked on, is that sensor in place, plugged up and good?
The front ABS sensors are cable assemblies that sets into a hole in the back area of the spindle.
Depending on your reply you may have one bad coil causing the running issue.
Hope you don't take offense but rethink what you do with the truck at this point, to cause repairs from having off road fun.
Good luck.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 11-29-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Hmm... just got the truck... vibration when on the gas at that RPM... blew up the rear end.

The rule is to check the cheap stuff first so, do a full tune up. I'm gonna bet on a bad coil causing your vibrations... Mine did that when I bought it.

I don't mean to get off topic, but how did you damage your rear axle?

Old 11-30-2012, 12:59 AM
I take what all of you are saying with consideration. I know i am new to this, and im here looking for help. I understand that fixing stuff on my truck is just part of going off road. Thank you again for your help.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
Duke, i'm not trying to insult you but at 17 your trying to play a very expensive game that already cost you in repairs about as much as the truck is worth.
Without knowing much about how to work on the truck, it's expensive running to a shop everytime something happens. You are getting to that point already that you can't aford it, by the sounds of it.
What does pulsating mean?
At a stop, at cruise?
Are you trying to say missfire/stumble ?
As to the ABS, if the rear was worked on, is that sensor in place, plugged up and good?
The front ABS sensors are cable assemblies that sets into a hole in the back area of the spindle.
Depending on your reply you may have one bad coil causing the running issue.
Hope you don't take offense but rethink what you do with the truck at this point, to cause repairs from having off road fun.
Good luck.
By pulsating i mean that when it is at 1000 rpms, and i am about 1/4 on the gas it shudders on me. (Rocks the whole truck forward and backwards. Doesnt do anything to the steering, just a very sharp vibration. As far as the ABS light, i think it is a speed sensor)

Old 11-30-2012, 01:04 AM
Originally Posted by AndersonS
Hmm... just got the truck... vibration when on the gas at that RPM... blew up the rear end.

The rule is to check the cheap stuff first so, do a full tune up. I'm gonna bet on a bad coil causing your vibrations... Mine did that when I bought it.

I don't mean to get off topic, but how did you damage your rear axle?
Which coil? A Whats a ballpark price for that? Also, i took my truck down into the local mud hole and let the chicks in the back tell me which hole to hit to get back to the party spot (The told me the biggest hole in the whole place) i didnt know it at that point, but i went through it, and was flexin pretty hard. Ended up driving out and thinking everything was fine. But then a "Jet engine" sound was coming from my rear end that would become very noticeable when driving through a neighborhood. (Sound was bouncing off the fences). Took it to the shop and they fixed it for $2,784. Also, i have had the truck for about 10 months. Still pretty new to me though.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:36 AM
glc
A whole set of 8 coils is $190. Search Ebay for "Visteon DG508".

Old 11-30-2012, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by glc
A whole set of 8 coils is $190. Search Ebay for "Visteon DG508".
So you think if i have this put on that vibration at around 1000 rpms will stop? Also what are these coils used for. Like what part of the truck do they go on?

Thanks Again Guys

Old 11-30-2012, 11:17 AM
glc
There is a coil on top of each spark plug. COP = Coil On Plug.

No guarantee that's what is causing the vibration - it could be just about anything if you buried it in the mud.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
im betting they raped you on the rear end... i would have done a fluid swap and see if that fixed it... An abs sensor will cause the light to come on. they are about $120 for the fronts. I HAD to do mine. it would kick the ABS in randomly when i tapped on the brakes to shut off the cruise, or was slowing down at low speeds. they are magnetic, so take it out and polish it up and see if that helps, DONT go crazy on it, just take a rag and brake cleaner to it. My rear sensor went out just before i sold my truck. That was scary... Driving on gravel the rear end would lock if i hit the brakes hard enough, you are a year older than me. repair bills are hard if you dont have an income. Find a cheap car for your DD and use the truck for its uses. Mine was my DD for over a year and i dont care to know how much i spent in gas... about $60 a week. you do the math. Also, do plugs and COPS. being a 5.4 its gonna suck. that SHOULD fix your vibration problem.

Quick Reply: 2002 Ford F150 4x4 shifting problems