1997 - 2003 F-150

Help my fuel pump has no power

Old 09-12-2012, 07:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help my fuel pump has no power

I've owned my 2002 F150 King Ranch now for 5 years, bought it used with 113K and have not has any issues that I could not fix myself so far. I love this truck and look forward to buying another when the financial situation is right

Last edited by antcrisco; 09-12-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:39 PM
Just put a new pump and sending unit in my 02.. Remove rear tire for better access and use a trans jack or atv jack when lowering the tank it makes it much easier.. I also replaced all hoses while I had it down..

Old 09-15-2012, 12:12 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Check the inertia switch by the passenger side kick panel. There should be a little red button on it. If that isn't it then check the relay in the junction box under the hood. If you have a relay in the tow slot just switch them.

If that doesn't get it then I don't know. Good luck

Old 09-15-2012, 12:43 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
If that don't work, -w/'key on, crawl under and hit the center of the tank w/a hammer a few times. Move around a bit. Allot of times, when a pump pukes, it can be brought to life, -briefly that way. If your hear the pump pressurize the lines after tapping around for a few, -yea the pumps most likely bad. Could be wire of connector, - just not very common.

If the pump still does nothing, - locate the your fuel pump relay. With the truck still in the run position, rest your hand on top of the relay. If hot or even just a little warm to the touch, - that relay is bad.

Also, -if the fuel filter was never serviced, -the internal pump line can rupture inside the tank.

Don't forget what user jgger posted above. Do that first.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:19 PM
Location: soon driving my 66 gmc PD4107 motorhome to WEST VIRGINIA TO STAY IN TILL I FIND A HOME TO BUY
did you fid the problem 2000 f150 xlt lariat no power to fuel pump

Originally Posted by jbrew
If that don't work, -w/'key on, crawl under and hit the center of the tank w/a hammer a few times. Move around a bit. Allot of times, when a pump pukes, it can be brought to life, -briefly that way. If your hear the pump pressurize the lines after tapping around for a few, -yea the pumps most likely bad. Could be wire of connector, - just not very common.

If the pump still does nothing, - locate the your fuel pump relay. With the truck still in the run position, rest your hand on top of the relay. If hot or even just a little warm to the touch, - that relay is bad.

Also, -if the fuel filter was never serviced, -the internal pump line can rupture inside the tank.

Don't forget what user jgger posted above. Do that first.
Ok if you found the issue with your truck can you tell me what it was??? Mine is doing same thing ,just sitting at idle it shut off then would only breifly fire till no more gas in carb

Old 02-10-2017, 08:25 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Your into a four year old thread.
Your truck does not have a Carb.
It's fuel injection.
You need to test fuel pressure with a gauge from the test port on the driver side fuel rail.
Attach gauge then cycle ignition key from off to run several times and note the pressure build up and how long it holds pressure after the last cycle.
It should rise to about 35 psi and hold at least 10 minutes.
If the motor won't start on that pressure, there is some other issue.
Good luck.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 02-11-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:16 AM
Location: soon driving my 66 gmc PD4107 motorhome to WEST VIRGINIA TO STAY IN TILL I FIND A HOME TO BUY
Just got thru messing with it again the inerta switch had a sunflower sead jammedin it and once got it out it was blown so reset it and it let power back when i jump wire it thru relay with relay in it dont work ,thinking relay went bad i checked again withh all 4 relays and not one workin it so staying with hot wire it gives power ,just like to know what amount of power needs to be goin into new fuelpump?

Old 02-11-2017, 12:59 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Slow down and read what you need to know about the fuel pump operation.
At key to run only , the pump only runs a few seconds then shuts off. This is the way the system is designed to work.
At cranking, the PCM turns the pump 'on again' as long as the crank is turning.
If you still have an issue, test for fuel pressure as I stated above.
Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help my fuel pump has no power