Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F-150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1997 - 2003 F-150 SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 08-15-2012, 10:28 PM

'99 F150 Blower Motor Removal

I've referenced my Haynes manual, downloaded a few Ford diagrams, as well as a Ford service manual, even searched on here, but I can't find any decent pics and info on what exactly needs to be removed to pull the blower motor out of the dash. I have removed the 3 screws that supposily hold the motor up, but it won't wiggle loose and drop down. Do I need to pry it out? Am I missing some hidden screws? The motor is unplugged, unless there is additional wiring that I can not see. How did everyone else replace their blower motor? Surely I'm doing something incorrectly here...

Oh, and I've been lurky for years without a membership, so thanks for all the past info.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:14 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F-150 5.4
there is a sealent, at least there was on the one on my Van that you just break loose with a screw driver then you wiggle it out. On my van I had to reuse the cage so dont damage it..

1999 F-150 xlt 5.4 4x4
1971 Mach 351c 5 speed TKO600 Tremac-sold!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:24 PM

I finally had some decent light this evening so I positioned my head as far under the dash as possible and noticed something I was missing when referring to repair manuals, there are 6 screws total: 3 black screws and 3 gold screws. Once all 6 screws were out I wiggled the blower motor around a bit and it started to fall out. Something I did prior to this was take a razor blade and cut out the additional insulation that was against the firewall, directly underneath the blower.

I tested the motor with a battery and some wires and found that it spins quite well. Since I had been slowly pulling apart my dash I decided to pull the a/c control panel out and test the fan speed selector for continuity. I found that I was not getting a reading for the low-medium setting, and per my Haynes manual, this is reason to replace. I ordered a replacement from fleabay tonight and will provide an update once it arrives.

Last edited by mpm; 08-16-2012 at 09:25 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-16-2012, 12:27 PM

For future reference, I also replaced blower motor relay under the driver's side dash. My blower fan now works, but I cannot contribute the results to any one part being replaced as the controls and the relay were replaced at the same time.

As it stands right now, I have replaced the blower motor resistor, the blower motor relay, and the control unit. I'm hoping I won't have to mess with any of this nonsense ever again...
Old 09-16-2012, 12:27 PM