1997 - 2003 F-150

'99 F150 Blower Motor Removal

Old 08-15-2012, 10:28 PM
mpm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 F150 Blower Motor Removal

I've referenced my Haynes manual, downloaded a few Ford diagrams, as well as a Ford service manual, even searched on here, but I can't find any decent pics and info on what exactly needs to be removed to pull the blower motor out of the dash. I have removed the 3 screws that supposily hold the motor up, but it won't wiggle loose and drop down. Do I need to pry it out? Am I missing some hidden screws? The motor is unplugged, unless there is additional wiring that I can not see. How did everyone else replace their blower motor? Surely I'm doing something incorrectly here...

Oh, and I've been lurky for years without a membership, so thanks for all the past info.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
there is a sealent, at least there was on the one on my Van that you just break loose with a screw driver then you wiggle it out. On my van I had to reuse the cage so dont damage it..

Old 08-16-2012, 09:24 PM
mpm
I finally had some decent light this evening so I positioned my head as far under the dash as possible and noticed something I was missing when referring to repair manuals, there are 6 screws total: 3 black screws and 3 gold screws. Once all 6 screws were out I wiggled the blower motor around a bit and it started to fall out. Something I did prior to this was take a razor blade and cut out the additional insulation that was against the firewall, directly underneath the blower.

I tested the motor with a battery and some wires and found that it spins quite well. Since I had been slowly pulling apart my dash I decided to pull the a/c control panel out and test the fan speed selector for continuity. I found that I was not getting a reading for the low-medium setting, and per my Haynes manual, this is reason to replace. I ordered a replacement from fleabay tonight and will provide an update once it arrives.

Last edited by mpm; 08-16-2012 at 09:25 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-16-2012, 12:27 PM
mpm
For future reference, I also replaced blower motor relay under the driver's side dash. My blower fan now works, but I cannot contribute the results to any one part being replaced as the controls and the relay were replaced at the same time.

As it stands right now, I have replaced the blower motor resistor, the blower motor relay, and the control unit. I'm hoping I won't have to mess with any of this nonsense ever again...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '99 F150 Blower Motor Removal