1997 - 2003 F-150

Who wants the 97-03 Factory Repair Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
I don't see where it installs anything - all I see is a bunch of PDF files. I betcha it's the installation of Adobe Reader that's doing that - and you CAN opt out if you READ what it's telling you.
Adobe did update.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jethat
Adobe did update.
Yeah, same here. Adobe updated to Adobe X, but nothing unusual in ADD/REMOVE program.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:21 AM
Now this has tons of info thanks RoscoeT, it has already solved one of my dilemas aka why my Daytime running lights were not working. Worth it's weight in Gold, my hat goes off to you, sir.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by TJ Trucker
Now this has tons of info thanks RoscoeT, it has already solved one of my dilemas aka why my Daytime running lights were not working. Worth it's weight in Gold, my hat goes off to you, sir.
Glad I could help. There's lots of people on these forums who are just here to ask questions and contribute nothing. So I thought it would be decent to contribute a bit before I start whining about my issues

Old 08-17-2012, 08:37 PM
This is awesome, and it compliments the one I bought on CD about a year ago, I think it was about $10, but it was from a dude from Australia who was making copies. But free is better. But man, 707MB? I had to send the link to my work computer and download it there and is still took about an hour.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Up front I will apologize for the long winded explanation.

To those of you that had a problem with all of the files not extracted, there is a way to get them from the original *.zip file.

First thing you need to do is change the file view settings in folder options so that file extensions are visible. You can change it back later.

Starting with the original Ford_F150_1997-2003_1231.zip file, navigate to the document that did not extract, I will use the Remove-Install-Overhaul.pdf file as an example.

The string is:

Ford_F150_1997-2003_1231.zip/FORD F150 2001 1997-2003 SERVICE REPAIR MANUAL/2001-2003/2003 Repair Information/Engine Performance/Remove-Install-Overhaul.pdf

Open the file. Once the file is open in Acrobat Reader, click save. There may be a dialog box that states that you cannot make changes to a Reader file and that you will only be saving a copy, click "OK". Select the destination of the file to be saved (I chose the same folder in the directory that I saved the manual to), click save.

Navigate to the location you saved the file and it may still show up as non-pdf file with the extension *.pd (About half of them did), right click the file and select "Rename". Change the file extension from .pd to .pdf and hit the "Enter" button. The file will now be a valid PDF file that can now be viewed.

After I typed this, I discovered that some of the files just need to be renamed and add the extension .pdf at the end and all is good!!! In this case, you definitely need to set your folder settings to make file extensions visible or you may wind up with files that have .pdf.pdf which will definitely break them.

The most likely reason this happens is that there is a character limit (It looks to be 25 characters) to a file name with the algorithm that the extractor uses, thus cutting off a portion of the files name and the extension which leads to a file type unrecognizable by the computer.

Try both methods and determine which one works in your case.

Good luck!

Last edited by BlackFerret; 08-17-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:37 PM
Also, if you use a third party extraction program like WinRAR, FileZip or WinZip rather than the windows built in extractor it might help. I had no issues but again I have WinRar installed.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:07 PM
Roscoe
Thanks so much for this post. Downloaded the file today.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Downloading now - 4 minutes left (Originally said 6 mins). Can't wait to get a look... Thanks!

Old 08-20-2012, 01:08 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Originally Posted by ffblackie
Downloading now - 4 minutes left (Originally said 6 mins). Can't wait to get a look... Thanks!
I hate you. I hate my DSL, it took me an hour.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:36 PM
I'm jealous of all of you guys that got to download it! I tried and the "Page Could Not Be Found". SAD DAY!

Old 08-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are the man thanks Dan

Old 08-20-2012, 08:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Wow! This is a first. What a gift lol.

Yea, large download, took 5 minutes or so. Then I went thru it real quick. Well, I should mention I have all service DVD's 96- 2006, and I'm somewhat familiar with things. Wasn't going to download at first, -glad I did!

This download is definitely Ford Service and accurate. - It's a little different being quite a bit more user friendly. VERY easy getting to where you want to go lol. From what I can see, the tech data and trouble shooting per service scanner has been weeded out. Well, most of it. That's good as we can't use that info anyway.

Other differences, all good from I can see so far.

Just get it while you can. I know I'm going to use it, - as the first go to lol.

Thanks a ton RoscoeT, excellent contribution, -the best!

Old 08-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm such a dumb @$$…I've been skipping over this thread for three days now thinking it was just the glove box owners manual

Downloaded in about 4 minutes with zero errors on my iMac. Everything opens and displays great. Thanks a million dude!

I have the service DVD also, but then I remembered I have to break out an old laptop and fudge the date back a year or two to get it to open.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:08 AM
Location: Currently Oregon, Could be anywhere. Chasing the dream
Thanks Roscoe, what an awesome day on the site.

And what you said about contributing, many of the fellows are just learning and will get beat up if they speak. Forums are the real world and if you say something stupid you have to live with it.... forever. Kind of like when a chick lets a dude take her picture..

But thanks for your contribution and I promise I will contribute what little I can. I am an electrical engineer and a 70s/80s race gear head. Things are different now and I am just getting back into working on my own cars because of the recession (things are getting better, but I still cannot afford a new truck or dealer repair prices). This site and contributions like yours are awesome and what make having the internet worth the $40 a month.

Quick Reply: Who wants the 97-03 Factory Repair Manual?