1997 - 2003 F-150

K&N air filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:35 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N air filter

I have done the gotts mod some time ago. But i do still have the stock air filter in there. Will there be benefit of putting a k&n in place of the stock filter.? (filter only)..The k&n say there better air flow and there cleanable.

Im trying to do as much as i can to help with the following categories- fuel mileage, acceleration and horsepower.. While my 38's are much better than the 44's were in these categories im still looking for better.

This thread will be for all categories mentioned so share all you would like.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
dang, i have a k&n filter id sell you for shipping if i knew where it was. but i didnt notice ANYTHING different compared to a stock filter. other than it didnt filter as good

Old 08-10-2012, 11:47 PM
Suspended
If you can find it Ill buy the shipping for that ish.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What str8 said. They don't filter as well as stock. You sacrifice longevity for power with a better flowing filter.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:17 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have one somewhere in my garage.. Paper filters are the way to go Wix all the way.. I do have a K&N on my Mustang.. It does not have a MAF..

Old 08-11-2012, 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by 1997 lariat 4.6
What str8 said. They don't filter as well as stock. You sacrifice longevity for power with a better flowing filter.
Yeah, LL. I got this same story when I listed that I was replacing my stock filter with K&N. People were saying "THEY DON'T FILTER AS GOOD" and "THEY JUST GET REALLY DIRTY TOO FAST"...and stuff like that. Why would they get dirty faster?? CUZ THEY FILTER BETTER.
Anyway, I am still using mine and I swear it feels like it pulls a lil harder and sounds a little better than stock. But what do I know? I only use statistics proven by Dyno-testing and gas mileage research that prove that K&N is superior.
Longevity of what?? The engine? Does anyone have proof that K&N filters filter less than stock?? I'm just curious cuz I kinda just dropped it when it came up last time.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:41 AM
Suspended
Thanks for your post slorider. 97 is full of ish. I think the high flow of the k&n would complement the gotts mod extremely well. It would be just as good if not better than a full CAI system. Seeing how the gotts pulls in cool air while the CAI system pulls in hot air from under the hood.

As for it filtering not as good as stock. Just cause its high flow doesn't mean it filters not good.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:48 AM
You have an oiled filter. Naturally you will see more dirt, because it's all clumped up on the surface, thus the, "it needs cleaned more" comment. Live on gravel, my truck had a k&n when I bought it, it had dust built up in the intake, yes it's naturally gonna happen, but I cleaned it, and changed the filter. 10k and two dry summers later and I have yet to see a speck of dust.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:57 AM
You have an oiled filter. Naturally you will see more dirt, because it's all clumped up on the surface, thus the, "it needs cleaned more" comment. Live on gravel, my truck had a k&n when I bought it, it had dust built up in the intake, yes it's naturally gonna happen, but I cleaned it, and changed the filter. 10k and two dry summers later and I have yet to see a speck of dust.
So you're saying someone had over-oiled your K&N on the truck before you bought it?? That's unfortunate, and I have seen this happen before. I had a guy come in with a Camaro one time and it looked like he had sprayed the whole intake pipe with filter oil. Caused a Check engine light and everything. Advanced filtration is not idiot-proof, but it is a good investment imo.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:57 AM
Suspended
what ever 97

Old 08-11-2012, 01:09 AM
Hehe so you live on a gravel road and haven't seen a speck of dust on your air filter in 10K miles?? Where's it going man? Thank GOODNESS you don't have those pesky oiled filters to catch the dust...lol

Last edited by slorider; 08-11-2012 at 01:11 AM. Reason: n't
Old 08-11-2012, 01:11 AM
Originally Posted by lltoolj
what ever 97
Dont ask for advise and opnions on something then act like a ****.

thta is part of the reason noone likes you becuase of your negative attitude when you dont hear what you wanna hear.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:12 AM
Originally Posted by slorider
So you're saying someone had over-oiled your K&N on the truck before you bought it?? That's unfortunate, and I have seen this happen before. I had a guy come in with a Camaro one time and it looked like he had sprayed the whole intake pipe with filter oil. Caused a Check engine light and everything. Advanced filtration is not idiot-proof, but it is a good investment imo.
All I have to say is it's going to be one of those do what makes you happy threads. Discussing K&N is beating a dead horse. Also, lltoolj, I was trying to give you some insite on some possible issues. I drive several miles of gravel daily during the school year, hunting season, and hauling hay.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:21 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
If you would use the search, you will find enough threads on K&N to read all night. You will find every arguement for and every one against.

It seems you already have an opinion and a position you wish to argue. Is the only reason you started this thread to create another arguement to entertain yourself? This site is here to share ideas and knowledge about trucks, not a platform for your entertainment.

If this thread turns out as your last few have, you will no longer be allowed to participate as a member on this site. Yes, this is a warning.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:29 AM
All I have to say is it's going to be one of those do what makes you happy threads. Discussing K&N is beating a dead horse. Also, lltoolj, I was trying to give you some insite on some possible issues. I drive several miles of gravel daily during the school year, hunting season, and hauling hay.
I just want proof why people talk trash on K&N on this site. If there's evidence that they filter less dirt, I have never seen it and I have searched for something solid besides "Oiled filters are yucky" and "They get so DIRTY!!" kinda crap. I am not trying to instigate and I am sure LL just wants answers, too. Sorry if I offended, but can you answer my questions? How does it filter less if you see dirt on it where dry filters don't trap "a speck"?? 10k miles?? You should change your air filter every 5k if you work on a farm, and that will get expensive, too. K&N would save your money and your engine if you're not catching a lot of dust in the filter.

Quick Reply: K&N air filter