1997 - 2003 F-150

Truck got vandalized and parts help

Old 06-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truck got vandalized and parts help

Long rant.....
Been a long time since I posted on here but had to vent and seek help. Son had an altercation with a kid over 640.00 in damage to his Mustang GT a few months earlier. (Kid backed sons car into a boulder causing damages and he promised to pay for and even got estimates for it)...This kid sent a sisters boyfriend over to start a fight with son when he called asking for the funds he was promised to repair the car when it happened. Kid mildly assaulted him and luckily my son knew not to get it going any farther and told the kid to leave. My son is leaving for the Army in Aug and doesn't want anything to happen that could jeopardize this. That night someone put screws in all 4 of his tires sidewalls and poured paint all over his car.....I got involved at this point as well as the police since my name is on the title to his car. Names were given on who we thought might be involved in it at that time. Son had to drive my truck a few days since his had to go to body shop for repairs and he noticed these same kids checking my truck out at school. He said something to his shop teacher about it and the teacher confronted them. Next day he goes out to leave for school and my truck had been keyed on every panel and ARE cover, across grill and lights and hood as well as 2 times down drivers side.The only thing they didn't key was the roof. Needless to say the police cant do anything because we cant prove who did it. We do have lots of kids with their ears open waiting for someone to slip and say something about who was involved..

My questions are:
Where can I get 2000 model yr or so Lightning OEM Headlamps ? Insurance is paying for all the paint work but since I added the lightning headlamps and turns they wont pay for these but just the standard model ones.

It also seems that I can get the side body moldings for the one side of truck on the doors but the other side is discontinued...Anyone know who makes good aftermarket OEM style ones. The body shop says they have good matches but I`m not sold.

They will have it for close to 4 weeks to strip the body down of all trim and the like, repair , refinish and get it all back together. NOT HAPPY with the prospect of non factory paint on it. They always seem to scratch and chip more than the Ford laid paint..

Last edited by 2000FordStyle; 06-13-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:42 PM
wow that is really terrible about your truck getting keyed.

Lightning heads and corners $79 for the set on eBay. I bought and installed a set last week and they are really great.

Since you can't find the door molding, why not remove the molding on the other side? probably looks better without it.

Last edited by Howies_effie; 06-13-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by Howies_effie
wow that is really terrible about your truck getting keyed.

Lightning heads and corners $79 for the set on eBay. I bought and installed a set last week and they are really great.

Since you can't find the door molding, why not remove the molding on the other side? probably looks better without it.
I saw the Ebay ones but I`m partial to the OEM versions if I can find some. Seen too many moisture issues with aftermarket lights,.

The body side moldings are all on right now. Body shop stated sometimes they don't come off so nice and need replacing. They can find one side if needed but not the other from Ford. I prefer them on as they have saved some dings over the yrs and show it..Insurance is paying either way since they have to come off for paint work..

I did opt to have a few dings removed and a couple small dents taken out since its all getting painted anyways. Insurance is allowing it but I have to pay that part out of pocket.. Otherwise I still get compliments on how nice the truck looks...looked.....

If they catch who did it they are looking at Felony charges...over 6000.00 worth of damage to both cars.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:07 PM
The eBay lights came in Visteon boxes - they appear to be OEM quality and the headlights have new bulbs installed. I literally can't believe how nice they were for the price.

Time will tell of course.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone needs a good old fashion a** kicking. Nothing like that would have been tolerated at my high school or there would be serious consequences. That's too bad that people get away with that crap these days. Hopefully you get it all straitened out and the BS comes to an end.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by Howies_effie
The eBay lights came in Visteon boxes - they appear to be OEM quality and the headlights have new bulbs installed. I literally can't believe how nice they were for the price.

Time will tell of course.
Visteon has been one of the better names mentioned as OE style lights so I will check them out. My quest for affordable OEM Ford ones isn't proving to be a easy thing. Thanks Do you have the sellers name??

It looked like this on my truck:
Name:  Front.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  56.6 KB

Originally Posted by Toyz
Someone needs a good old fashion a** kicking. Nothing like that would have been tolerated at my high school or there would be serious consequences. That's too bad that people get away with that crap these days. Hopefully you get it all straitened out and the BS comes to an end.
They did all the vandalism out in front of our house. Son gets home from work after 11:00 pm and leaves at 7:00 so they hit them here at our house. Let them come back now and I hope they smile. We have infrared cameras now His GT is now stored at our other house for awhile in another state till it all cools down. I still have a 2012 Equinox and a 2009 Caliber in the drive and if they hit them too we are really going to have an issue.

Last edited by 2000FordStyle; 06-13-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Sorry to hear about the truck gettin vandalized

Have you tried to look for the moldings through LMC Truck?

Link>>> http://www.lmctruck.com/ford/

Old 06-13-2012, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought mine from a guy on a Lightning site can't remember the name. They are actual Svt headlights. Might check one if them out. That's really horrible about your truck. I would be beside myself and probably hide in the shadows with a 12 gauge. I hope they are able to get some evidence and put those punks away.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
OP, moisture is supposed to happen in new headlamps. It means the atmosphere is stabilizing. If it lasts more than a week and has more than a teaspoon of water in the housing, then its a problem.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
Sorry to hear about the truck gettin vandalized

Have you tried to look for the moldings through LMC Truck?

Link>>> http://www.lmctruck.com/ford/
Thanks and I will look in there.

Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse
I bought mine from a guy on a Lightning site can't remember the name. They are actual Svt headlights. Might check one if them out. That's really horrible about your truck. I would be beside myself and probably hide in the shadows with a 12 gauge. I hope they are able to get some evidence and put those punks away.
Thats the ones I have in mine now. Bought them and installed them right after I bought truck. Have no clear where I got them from now but they are the SVT ones.. I`ll keep searching as it will be a few weeks till they get it done..

Old 06-13-2012, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
OP, moisture is supposed to happen in new headlamps. It means the atmosphere is stabilizing. If it lasts more than a week and has more than a teaspoon of water in the housing, then its a problem.
I`m talking about the lights that leak so much the lights themselves fill with water. Moisture is not the issue I`m debating. A bunch of the new aftermarket lights even tell you to seal the seams with silicone.....Never had to with the Ford OEM lights....Son had some OE style lights for his Chevy truck he used to have. A few car wash runs and they filled with water on turns and brake lights....

Old 06-13-2012, 09:14 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
How deep is the scratch on the lens? Any chance you can buff it out?

Old 06-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
How deep is the scratch on the lens? Any chance you can buff it out?
Not a chance..They scratched them good. Looks like they did the whole truck with something large and pointed. It actually left curls of the paint laying on the hood when they did it..

Sorry for large pics

Here are pics of two panels they did..it looks like that across the lights too...
Name:  100_1727.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  191.2 KB
Name:  100_1720.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  178.7 KB

Old 06-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
shoot me a pic of the headlights, they might be able to be sanded down and cleaned up. if you wanted to ship them i can see what i can do with them

Old 06-13-2012, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
shoot me a pic of the headlights, they might be able to be sanded down and cleaned up. if you wanted to ship them i can see what i can do with them
I would today if I could. I will see if I can get pics of them as the truck is in the body shop now. I just have a few pics my son took that morning before the police arrived and they took some. I really doubt you can sand them down enough to fix without leaving a dip across the lights. It was my thought too when I first saw them knowing they were plastic and smooth...I do appreciate the offer to help out on them though!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck got vandalized and parts help