1997 - 2003 F-150

Nerf bar suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nerf bar suggestions

Hey guys, I have a 1997 3 door and want to get some steps to help the lady (vertically challenged) get into the truck. I was considering a pair of Nasta all stainless. I would appreciate any input you might have.

Also are there any vendors here that have been good to deal with in you experience?

Thanks.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love my Westins. They tuck in far enough that they look good, but stick out just far enough to function well as a step.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:03 AM
I say check out the n-fabs

Old 12-10-2010, 01:18 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^^ with stupid

love mine

Old 12-10-2010, 02:19 PM
Thankx a lot guys. The westins are nice but I was drawn to the nastas because everything is stainless including the brackets and hardware. We've all seen rotted out nerf bars on trucks, that's just nasty. How are the westins holding up for you Wandell?

Nfabs are cool but they have more of an offroad look to me. Even though I'm rockin' 33s on 2wd, the most wheeling I do is hopping over islands and dividers to get out of traffic jams and off course the occasional snow storm.

Thanks ... keep 'em coming.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:35 AM
[QUOTE=LE PEW;4422430]
Nfabs are cool but they have more of an offroad look to me. Even though I'm rockin' 33s on 2wd, the most wheeling I do is hopping over islands and dividers to get out of traffic jams and off course the occasional snow storm.[QUOTE]

Well you already got the 4x4 bumper and 33's I say a lift and n-fabs! haha

Old 03-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Well here we are 3 months later the snow is gone, temps in the mid forties for late afternnoon and I finally got the nerf bars on the truck. It took about an hour to mount them late in the day, with the sun in my eyes. Just as advertised, everything is stainless steel. BTW, got them for $269.00 and free shipping.

The instructions were alright but I still managed to mount one of the wrong brackets in the front drivers side but only because I was in a hurry trying to finish the job before it got too dark out . The hardware only uses 3/4" and 9/16" nuts and bolts ..... which are stainless btw, so I only used two wrench sizes for the whole install. The brackets are all very thick and beefy as are the nerf bars themselves. The brackets have a satin finish that matches the silver lower paint color on the truck. Everything mounts to the cab body in different locations but I thought that a couple of brackets could have tied into the chassis to make them more solid. There's probably a reason why they dont do that? I think the quality is really good but what do I know ... I didnt even stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

It's easier for me to just step into the truck without the steps but it seems like they flex or give a little when you do step on them. They do return to the original position though. Do they all do that to some extent? The rubber step pads have enough texture to give grip and be functional. I like the looks well enough but more important is that the wife, kids, and passengers have an easier time getting into the truck. Time will tell if they hold up or not but for now I'm happy with them. I'll try to put up pictures if I get a chance.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Last edited by LE PEW; 03-04-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:52 PM
FYI on 'stainless' bars / tubes

I, too, bought stainless step tubes.
Full length even, for my SCAB.
Mine are 3"OD polished 304SS tube.

FYI, there are many varieties of stainless steel out there.
I work with SS piping on a daily basis.
Some have more iron in them than others.
Ones with a higher iron content will show as time goes by.

Mine look almost perfect still after 6 yrs.
The almost = The cut ends where the plastic caps attach show a little brown.

So, make sure you check the Stainelss steel 'flavor'.
I don't know what stainless varieties are available for step bars / tubes.
Before you buy, make sure to ask plenty of questions and do your research.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:05 PM
These are also claiming to be 304 SS including the brackets and bolts. That means they contain 18% chromium and 8% nickel. 300 series SS should be nonmagnetic but I honestly didnt have time to actually put it to the test.

316 would have been better with a little bit of moly in it like for marine applications with salt and corrosion resistance but I guess it wolud cost that much more...... 400 series is magnetic SS because it only contains chromium and no nickel so thats definetly out!

Like I said, time will tell.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Any pictures?
I'm still searching for a set of OEM bars.

I like the look of the Bends at the end of the bars, without the tubes going all the wat to the brackets.

Does anyone make these OEM style?

Old 05-03-2012, 09:49 AM
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but LE PEW you have PMs turned off and I wanted to ask where you bought your nasta nerf bars from?

Old 05-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Nasta bars

Originally Posted by TheGoaT
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but LE PEW you have PMs turned off and I wanted to ask where you bought your nasta nerf bars from?
Dont apologize, some threads are revived out of the blue from years back so it's all good. I also didnt know I had my PMs disabled either so thanks for the heads up.

I dont remember what particular vendor I got them from but after doing a Google Shooping search it led me to a vendor that was on Amazon and had good customer feedback and great price. My wife has an account with Amazon and shipping was free!

BTW, they are holding up great and when I get a chance I'll take some pics for my gallery.

Quick Reply: Nerf bar suggestions