1997 - 2003 F-150

Help! My truck will not start.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! My truck will not start.

I have a 2000 F150 6-cylinder with manual transmission. In the last month, it has started a majority of the time but will intermittently fail to start several days in succession. After 2 to 3 days of no-starts, it goes back to normal and is fine. Obviously, the first thing I had checked was the battery. It is less than 1 year old and tested good. There are no specific criteria for days that it will not start. Cold, hot, humid, or dry conditions have no bearing. Likewise, running the vehicle 2 miles or 60 miles makes no difference. When I turn the key, I hear the click but the starter does not engage at all (no spinning noise from the bendix). The clutch pedal feels good. I am able to push start the vehicle every time, drive, and shift gears without any issue. Rather than begin the task of removing starters, checking the clutch safety switch, etcetera, I took it to the Ford dealership in my town for the sake of expediency. After a day in the shop, they said they could not replicate the no-start problem. It started every time. The mechanic’s report says he checked the safety switch and starter and they were good. I am at an impasse and could use any advice offered.
Thanks in advance!

Old 05-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Cel?

Old 05-22-2012, 12:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
connections first then the firewall relay. Test the relay by shorting the big post to the small post if the starter engages replace the relay. check the wire on the starter they corrode.. My bet is its the firewall relay if it were me I'd just replace it after checking connections because its cheap..

Old 05-22-2012, 12:29 PM
Yes. I forgot that bit of info. The scan called out misfire. The Ford Tech said I likely needed new plugs.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by jethat
connections first then the firewall relay. Test the relay by shorting the big post to the small post if the starter engages replace the relay. check the wire on the starter they corrode.. My bet is its the firewall relay if it were me I'd just replace it after checking connections because its cheap..
Thanks for your input. I'll follow those steps when I get home today. Hopefully, the relay cures the problem.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:41 PM

Put your hand on that relay. If it warm/hot it's bad.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:43 PM

Also, if you order one, you may have to look under solenoid. It's called that as well.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Followed your troubleshooting tips and isolated the problem. While testing the starter relay, I noticed a grinding sound coming from the starter when I would jump the posts on the relay. When I would remove power, the starter would rattle about 2 seconds later. I took the starter off and had it bench tested. It failed 2 of 4 tests. I replaced the starter and the issue is gone.

The one thing the Ford dealership tech said he was sure of was that is was not a starter issue. They wanted to put in a new clutch assembly and flywheel...but no starter.

Thanks very much for the education. Next time I'll know what's going on.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They may not be lying. Flywheel ring gears do go bad. Keep an eye on it if it sounds at all wierd you probably need a flywheel.

Quick Reply: Help! My truck will not start.