how do you take off the grille shell? - F150online Forums



1997 - 2003 F-150

how do you take off the grille shell?

Reply
 
 
  #1  
Old 03-21-2012, 09:19 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Connecticut
Posts: 216
how do you take off the grille shell?

Can anyone help me out? I need the take off the grille shell and replace it. I found the screws at the top but i can't figure out how it comes out.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mechanicsville, VA
Posts: 5,534
Take off the screws at the top then take out the headlights. Take off the front bumper (4 bolts). Finally grab the grill shell and pull out and down and it'll pop off. It's held in by two clips at the bottom.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-21-2012, 11:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brooks, AB / Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 2,081
You don't need to remove the bumper. Just remove the rad cowl, take out the screws on the top of the grille shell, remove the headlights, and there are two clips holding the shell in in front of the rad and a warning, they are a royal PITA to get out.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-21-2012, 11:32 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Connecticut
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halverso_99 View Post
You don't need to remove the bumper. Just remove the rad cowl, take out the screws on the top of the grille shell, remove the headlights, and there are two clips holding the shell in in front of the rad and a warning, they are a royal PITA to get out.
okay. thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-21-2012, 11:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mechanicsville, VA
Posts: 5,534
I always just kinda yanked mine off and the clips just popped right out haha.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-22-2012, 12:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bear, Delaware
Posts: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman711 View Post
I always just kinda yanked mine off and the clips just popped right out haha.
and then some would call it broken. I took off my surround so I could take out my honeycomb and paint it.... I didn't think it was difficult,hard OR a p.i.t.a. ... just followed this:

http://www.fordf150.net/articles/idx...tructions.html
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-22-2012, 12:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Beaverton Or.
Posts: 3,263
Dont forget about the plastic rivets on each side just above the bumper cover.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-22-2012, 12:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mechanicsville, VA
Posts: 5,534
Broken? Mine hasn't yet and I've taken it off like 20 times. It just easier to get the clips out by pulling it instead of trying to push them through.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-22-2012, 12:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Beaverton Or.
Posts: 3,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman711 View Post
Broken? Mine hasn't yet and I've taken it off like 20 times. It just easier to get the clips out by pulling it instead of trying to push them through.
I pull mine out as well. If you are referring to the flanges that are pressed into those metal clips. Or I think one time I used some flat screw drivers and slid them in between the metal and plastic, then pulled.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-22-2012, 01:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bear, Delaware
Posts: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyz View Post
I pull mine out as well. If you are referring to the flanges that are pressed into those metal clips. Or I think one time I used some flat screw drivers and slid them in between the metal and plastic, then pulled.
IIRC, that is sorta how I did it. Pizzaman, I was only inferring that to say "jus pull it" .... that we would be reading about some non-searcher,no-researcher newbie posting...... I broke it, PLZ HELP
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-22-2012, 01:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mechanicsville, VA
Posts: 5,534
Ah okay that makes more since, besides I thought we all loved those threads

But yea, I'm to lazy to crawl up under there with a flat head haha. I did it the first time like that because I was scared to break something, but after that time a little gentle force and it'll pop right off!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-22-2012, 01:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bear, Delaware
Posts: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman711 View Post
Ah okay that makes more since, besides I thought we all loved those threads

But yea, I'm to lazy to crawl up under there with a flat head haha. I did it the first time like that because I was scared to break something, but after that time a little gentle force and it'll pop right off!
YUP..... my wife says that too
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Ranman
Parts & Accessories For Sale (2009 - 2014)
1
02-25-2016 09:30 PM
08SILVERFX4
Trucks For Sale (2004 - 2014)
1
01-16-2016 08:47 PM
E-Autogrilles
Site Vendor Specials & Classifieds
3
12-03-2015 01:51 PM
JDMPJM
Parts Wanted / Trade
4
09-18-2015 02:45 PM
carid
Site Vendor Specials & Classifieds
0
09-11-2015 10:19 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:01 AM.