1997 - 2003 F-150

heated mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question heated mirrors

Hoping someone may have an interchange manual or an idea for this.
my 2002 f150 did not come with heated mirrors nor does there appear to be any made for this year (makes no sense since the truck was made here in Canada). I have the power/no heat/no signal/ chrome cover type. Anyway I went on Ford parts and looked up this mirror and come up with part #17683. I then looked up the same mirror for the Expedition and it has the same part #. So now if they are the same then would not the heated mirror which did come on the excursion fit the f150.
Also if the f150 did not come with heated mirrors would the wiring harness be a standard harness whether or not there is heat or signal.
And since there is also no rear window defrost where would the heated mirror switch be located. It's a real pain in the rear to scrape ice off the mirror which causes it to move off it's setting possibly stripping the gears each time.
Any help appreciated. Jim

Last edited by JimFor; 03-06-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:50 AM
ok, so I see that there has been 150 views on my post. Either nobody has an answer or nobody cares. Hmmmm.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Expy mirrors only fit the 4 door scew trucks. Also pretty sure there is no wiring there for it. I'm not even sure if heated mirrors were an option.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Expedition mirrors will only work on other expys and 01-03 screws. You would have to get the mirrors from a reg cab or scab, 03 lariat, kr, etc. Whatever one had the option and im pretty sure you would need the wiring diagrams from the same truck or the expy and wire it up yourself.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by Halverso_99
Expedition mirrors will only work on other expys and 01-03 screws. You would have to get the mirrors from a reg cab or scab, 03 lariat, kr, etc. Whatever one had the option and im pretty sure you would need the wiring diagrams from the same truck or the expy and wire it up yourself.
Also to add to that, you require auto temp. I was going to add it, but for the BS it not worth it.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Ok guys, here's a technical question. After hours of research I have discovered that many of the parts are interchangeable between the 97 - 2002 f150 and the explorer. I have also seen reference to the Gem module as the timer for the mirrors. Is this the case and if so then---- since the explorer did have heated mirrors would the gem module be the same for both but the function not used on the f150 or could I swap in the explorer module to the f150. If it is the same module for both and the funtion not used on the f150 which wire or connection would it be. I can get the defrost switch and the relay both at ford or on ebay for the explorer. Jim

Old 06-06-2012, 10:35 PM
JimFor
Did you get the mirrows wired up? I just bought two 2001 mirrows off a wrecked expy to go on my 2002 F150. I bought them for the color matched cap but was hoping I could get the heated part wired up as well. I can tell you the the wiring is different as the connectors to the harness are different. I sat down to search for the wiring diagram of the expy and your thread popped up first. hope you got yours wired. If you got any useful hints I would certainly appreciate it.
thanks

Old 06-07-2012, 12:15 PM
I have sent you a private message.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Hi, my mirror project is still in the works however here is the update. For anyone else looking to do this the mirror glass with backing plate on the 97 - 2003 f150 and the expedition is exactly the same. I have confirmed this as I ordered the heated mirror glass with plate for the expy from Dorman products, parts # 56148 + 56149 and they also come with the plastic pins. So if you want to keep your original mirror bodies this is the way to go. Also available from Ford or just swap out your f150 mirrors for expedition mirrors.

As for the hookup it is supposed to be wired up through the GEM module however forget that. I went with a defrost switch from a 95 windstar, it is a little large and does not have a built in timer but it has a nice lip around the edge to cover up any rough hole cutting and has only a pictogram on it not the words rear defrost. Since I dont have 4 wheel drive I installed it in the spot on the center bezel where the 4x4 switch would be.
If you really want to go stock the left hand bezel from the Expy which has the defrost button and the pedals adjust button is exactly the same as the f150.

I ordered a timer from Wolsten. It is model TDR PMLC. It has both pos and neg triggers and can be ordered with either pos or neg switching. The delay can be up to 30 minutes
and has the cancel feature. $30.00. Wolsten has various wiring schemos on site
Here is the link-- http://www.wolstentech.com/products/...delayrelay.php

To wire it up (I’m still working on the best line for this) tap into a switched on accessory line to the timer and then the output from the timer to the mirrors either direct with its own disconnector or wire it into the stock one. I tapped onto the ground from the wire harness for the cigarette lighter and power point which is easy to get at with the lower bezels removed to go to the switch for the negative trigger, the instrument light and the on light. The positive wire for the instrument lights is also easy to get at on the dashboard cupholder, dont use the ground from it as it is too small..

My f150 also has the turnsignals wired up to the door harness so I am considering installing those little stick on led arrows at the same time.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:28 AM
PART 2

Whether you want to wire up the power to your mirrors using a manual on/off switch or use a momentary switch and a timer you will need a 12 volt relay. Since the mirrors will want about 10 amps the best place to tap into is the dashboard power point. There are three wires on the connector, ground –which you should have already tapped onto, cigarette lighter and power point. Just remove the fuse for one or the other to determine which is which. These two wires are always hot (not switched) which is why you need the relay. So tap onto the wire for the power point and connect it to the pin of the relay that is normally OFF. Then run a wire from the common pin of the relay to the timer and from the timer to the mirrors. To activate the relay tap onto the ground wire and connect it to one end of the relay coil. The other pin of the relay coil needs to be connected to a switched accessory wire—there are three from the ignition switch on my truck—one for the radio/wipers circuit(black+green), one for the heater blower motor/air bags circuit(grey+yellow) and one for the heater blend door circuit(red+black). You don’t want the radio circuit as it will energize the relay both in run and accessory. Either of the other two will work as they have power only in run and not accessory, however if you have an aftermarket remote start system it will probably have tapped onto the blower motor wire so use the blend door circuit wire. Now although all of these connections are already fused it would be best to add your own in line fuses, a 5 amp for the relay coil and a 10 amp for the mirrors.
So if you have done this correctly there should be no power to the mirrors unless the key is in the run position.

Now here is the reason to connect the wire from the power point to the relay normally OFF pin. What I have done is my aftermarket remote start system has an accessory out line that is hot when the system is activated. This I have connected to the relay normally ON pin. The timer I have used for my mirrors is activated by a negative trigger controlled by the momentary switch. My remote system has the trunk open button on the key fob which is also a negative trigger so I have wired this output to the timer as well. So now if I auto-start my truck I can also activate my mirrors using the trunk button. If the auto start system is programmed to start every few hours automatically the mirrors will not unnecessarily defrost since the trunk button must be pushed.

Hope this helps. Jim

Old 06-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Jim,
Sounds like you got if figured out. I am sure that will help me as well. Great job and thanks again for the help.

Last edited by pdabbs911; 06-25-2012 at 09:12 AM. Reason: pd
Old 06-25-2012, 09:45 AM

Jim,
Here are pics of my wires from the passenger side, the Driver side has a couple different colors as well. I think that if I can get the directional control switch from the donor, then that will help me narrow down the remaining wires for the heat controls. I can then follow the steps you described above. You have done all the hard work.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:10 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
That's impressive! There's a company that makes replacement turn signal mirror glass with heated options. I can look it up tomorrow

Old 06-28-2012, 06:04 AM
Muth mirrors. Built in turn arrow turn signal. The link below is for the f150 non heated.
[url]https://www.muthco.com/products/vehicles/?make=Ford&model=F-150+Light+Duty&submit=Search[/ur

If you want heated you must get the Expedition ones with signal and heat. $269. US
https://www.muthco.com/products/vehicles/?make=Ford&model=Expedition+-+XLT&submit=Search

Then you need their switch and timer kit -- another $69. US or go the same route I did and install your own Ford switch and a separate timer which will allow you to adjust the amount of time the mirrors are on.

That's why I went with the heated Dorman mirrors no signal-- $150 here in Canada and led stick-on arrows from ebay for about $20.

Last edited by JimFor; 06-28-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:10 PM
I'm in the same boat as you! I put some '03/'04 expy mirrors on my supercrew and have been having a hard time figuring out all the wires. Every time I think I'll have a day or two to work on them, something comes up...so I haven't wired anything yet. As far as heat was concerned, I thought about just running a toggle switch that I could flip on and off when need be. I'm not an electrician, so I thought that would be easy, haha.

Quick Reply: heated mirrors