1997 - 2003 F-150

Ticking Noise

Old 02-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ticking Noise

Hi everyone, I need some advice. I have a 1998 Ford F150 with a 4.6. I just bought it and got it for a good price however I have spent a lot of cash getting it running good. After all that work was done I noticed a ticking noise. I can't say for sure if its coming from the engine or transmission. I can only hear the noise while driving down the road or pressing the gas pedal in either park or neutral. Any advice on what it could be?

Old 02-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Could be a number of things. A loose spark plug, exhaust leak, tensioner pulley etc...
Remove the drive belt and start it up, do whatever you do with the throttle to get it to make the noise and see if it goes away. Could be a pulley bearing, alternator, a/c or what not so eliminate those. Check the plugs to make sure none are loose. They should be torqued to 28ft/lbs. Also, check your pcv valve.

It helps to get someone to do the gas while your under the hood trying to pinpoint the sound with a mechanics stethoscope.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:41 AM
Most Likely it is the Exhaust Manifold Gaskets. These are where the exhaust bolts to the engine on each side. Very common Problem in Ford 150 Pickup. Look for broken studs around the Manifold.

-J

Old 02-06-2012, 08:35 PM
A word of caution if you do as Toyz suggests and remove the drive belt to eliminate those accessories that might be making the noise, do not run the engine for more that a few minutes, any more than that and it will overheat and may cause more problems than just a ticking noise.

Other than those words of caution, X2 on everything that Toyz and jmcz440 said, especially the exhaust manifolds and spark plugs.

On a side note, the injectors on these engines also make a ticking noise and they seem to be louder than ones I have on my Mustang GT. But they should not be able to be heard inside truck when driving down the road.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Ticking noise in dash

I've noticed the same "ticking" sound when I drive as well. And the ticking gets faster when I speed up and slows down when decelerate. I also noticed that the ticking noise sounds likes it's coming from the dash just in front of the steering wheel.....doesn't sound like it's coming from the engine bay like ya'll listed up above.....any ideas?

Old 02-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Loose valves. Could need adjusted. Had the same problem. Re gapped with feeler gauge. Got a little power back as well, ticking went away.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Mine was the exhaust manifold that ticked. When I replaced it with long tube headers it took care of that problem.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:28 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe79
Loose valves. Could need adjusted. Had the same problem. Re gapped with feeler gauge. Got a little power back as well, ticking went away.
How do you adjust valves that are non-adjustable? Inquiring minds want to know.............

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ticking Noise