1997 - 2003 F-150

Blend Door

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 99duckey
I wish I had seen this post first. All other post as well as the heater treater site make this job appear simple. Unfortunately that is not the case on super crews as river ghost points out. Does anyone know the solution to river ghosts post ?
Is the dashboard removed?

Old 10-28-2015, 02:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
IMO doing the blend door right involves removing the dash period. Do the heater core at the same time. Yes it is a MAJOR project. You need a helper and it takes at least a full day if you old and slow like me plan on 2. If you cut the hole in the dash to do the blend door you'll end up having to remove the dash in a short while to do the heater core anyway. Do them both and get it over with at the same time.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:53 AM
No the dash is not removed. I was trying to inspect the blend door actuator because I wasn't sure if it was going through the full range of motion (gears stripped or something else). Ultimately it was fine as is the blend door.

To help others with a super crew, I saw what appeared to be a page out of the Ford service manual. The vent on the right side that riverghost pictures has to be sliced down the middle on both sides and folded back to remove the duct. When reinstalling, it was showed to use a zip tie to repair the sliced duct. Seems like a hack job but it worked.

Now to figure out what the real problem is. Heater core seemed to flush fine and new thermostat installed. now to see if I have an air pocket somewhere or if there are any electrical components that would cause this.

Old 11-09-2015, 03:17 PM
I'm also for taking the dash out instead of hacking something up. The blend doors always break at the bottom sleeve that goes onto the actuator. Factory is made of all plastic, the Dorman I used had that area made of Metal. Replace your heater core also, they are cheap so why not. The job is really straightforward, it's just very time consuming to not break any dash plastics, finding those hidden screws, and remembering to put all the screws back (I had a few left over from something, Dash doesn't rattle so not pulling it back off). I did it in the span of 2 days,with help from friends cleaning all the air ducts while I replaced the door and core. Really worth doing right, and doing before there is feet of snow outside.

Quick Reply: Blend Door