I have the starter high pitched grinding/screeching noise when trying to start the truck. This has been going on intermittently for over a year.
I searched here and read and it seems to be either electric connection related, shaft corrosion or the starter grinds teeth off the backing plate.
I have a new battery and cleaned the electrical connections everywhere to my knowledge. The truck is garage kept and only used for recreation (115,000 miles).
This doesn't happen everytime you try to start, but will if you turn the key too quickly or are in a public place with a bunch of people looking at you.
I talked to the service mananger at my Ford dealer and he said it is most likely the starter itself and the "backing or flex" plate that the starter turns. He also said somewhere around $700 to $800 to fix it.
So, my questions are:
1. Who is the cheapest to order genuine Ford parts from online?
2. Should the front and rear seals for the trans be replaced while the trans is out?
3. Since there is a "pop" in a universal joint, what are the recommedations for replacements?
4. Use a Ford starter or new NAPA?
5. What is a fair price for labor for the above?
6. Is the above wrong and I should be doing something else?
Thanks for answers and opinions!