1997 - 2003 F-150

Changed to a lightning instrument cluster and now it won't start. THEFT??!??

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all 99+ f150's have PATS. Troyer can turn off pats. The reason he says he can't is BS. That is Mike troyer being Mike Troyer. You don't need to get a whole new ignition that is the dealer trying to up sell. I would be leary about them reprogramming it because you may lose your custom tuning. Call another tuner and ask if you can send a copy of your tuning and get them to take the pats out.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:11 PM

The dealer didn't tell me that, that's just what I assumed when I didn't realize that I already had the pats. I'm not worried about them messing up the tune because I can always reload the original. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by efuehrin
The dealer didn't tell me that, that's just what I assumed when I didn't realize that I already had the pats. I'm not worried about them messing up the tune because I can always reload the original. I'll let you know how it turns out.
with a flash from the dealer there is at least a 95% chance you will have a different stategy. You would need to start tuning from scratch again

Old 12-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
can't they program the clusters out of the truck?

Old 12-13-2011, 11:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Return your truck to stock program and get your keys programmed into the Pats system. The keys with the black cover are basically a key fob. Kinda like access controls on a building I.E. access cards. It takes about 5 minutes tops to program two keys. The dealer has a handy dandy tool that plugs into the obdII port. They program each key and test to make sure they both start the truck. Ask me how I know....lol

I would never disable PATS. Without that any schmuck with 2 braincells could hotwire and be off with all your hard work.

Last edited by 01 gt f150; 12-13-2011 at 11:51 PM. Reason: more to add
Old 12-16-2011, 07:41 PM

Well I just got it back from the dealer, it starts now but the speedo won't budge off 0 and the tach is choppy. Getting frustrated. The odometer still reads 130k so maybe they just need to do more programming? To their defense I did just tell them to get it running. I was worried about them screwing up the tune. But I assumed the speedo would work.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:01 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
What your not informed about is some of the following.
The dash 'marries' to the computer by code and is why there is so much hassle in the change over attempt.
The PCM has a word in program that has 'bits' set to indicate what options there are in the original build.
There is communications between the PATS and the PCM via a seperate bus pair.
If this fails for any reason the ignition and fuel is prevented from working.
The dash speedo, tach and mileage indicators get there information from the PCM in digital code.
You got yourself into a hassle by not knowing what all is involved in different areas.
It's a full computer system you just cannot change parts of without getting into an involved process by some one who understands and is abe to do/ make changes.
Good luck.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 12-17-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bluegrass
The dash 'marries' to the computer by code and is why there is so much hassle in the change over attempt.
The PCM has a word in program that has 'bits' set to indicate what options there are in the original build.
The dash speedo, tach and mileage indicators get there information from the PCM in digital code.
You got yourself into a hassle by not knowing what all is involved in different areas.
It's a full computer system you just cannot change parts of without getting into an involved process by some one who understands and is abe to do/ make changes.
Good luck.
So any advice for me???

Old 12-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
IIRC you need to get the PCM programed/calibrated for the 120Mph speedo

Old 12-19-2011, 12:20 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
Good luck.
Weird! When I got mine I just plugged it in and my neighbor Tim borrowed the PATS key programmer from his dealership. programmed the key codes and it fired right up and all gauges work fine. Maybe it's because he tried to start it without the keys programmed in first. If not I must of been one of the lucky ones.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Patman
IIRC you need to get the PCM programed/calibrated for the 120Mph speedo
Calibrated for the 140 mpg speedo.....

Yea I've gotta get it back to ford. I'll update after. Thanks guys

Old 12-20-2011, 12:46 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I know you need the programming for the speedo even if you swap the PATS board and odometer stuff on the clusters

Old 12-20-2011, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by tarajerame
I know you need the programming for the speedo even if you swap the PATS board and odometer stuff on the clusters
do you know if this is programming that Ford should be able to do if is it going to be in the file that Troyer sent me?

Old 12-20-2011, 12:53 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
it's a Ford Dealer programming as far as I know

Old 12-20-2011, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by tarajerame
it's a Ford Dealer programming as far as I know
Good I hope so. To Ford's credit, I did tell them just to get it running. I was worried that they would screw up my custom tune somehow.

Thanks again, tarajerame! as always

Quick Reply: Changed to a lightning instrument cluster and now it won't start. THEFT??!??