1997 - 2003 F-150

Motor died while driving

Old 12-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor died while driving

My 02 F150 4.6 4x2 shut off while I was driving down the road today. The motor died, the gauges all went to 0, and the odometer showed ------.

I put the trans in neutral and tried to start the motor but it would just crank and it wouldn't start. I pulled over, put it in park, and it started. A few miles down the road it did the same thing. I stopped, start it, and made it home the last few miles.

When I got home I turned it off and tried to start it. It wouldn't start, and I noticed the THEFT light was flashing when I was cranking it.

Eventually it started, and now it runs fine, so I lost my troubleshooting window. This behaves similar to the fuel pump issue I had a year ago, I replaced the pump at that time.

The blank gauges and odometer make me think this is not a fuel pump. The THEFT light makes me think it's a PATS issue, but I thought PATS only worked at startup and couldn't kill the motor once you were driving. I don't have a remote starter and I haven't made any modifications to the electrical system.

What else could this be? What would kill the motor while I was driving, and kill the dashboard gauges.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
its a connection problem. Check all the main connections especially the starter battery firewall relay and the alternator.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:17 PM
My money says its your key, your key may or may not have a chip in it, yes believe it or not its your key my dad's 03 F-150 would just crank crank crank.....no start maybe not but i remember dad calling me telling me he had spent big dough on a new key that Ford had to make him Dad had a Theft code on his diagnostic tool, which was a good deal cuz he was ready to drop the tank and replace the pump since it wouldnt even kick on. Anyway, he called Ford and told him "key" hell even the tow truck driver said "key"

Old 04-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Pats wouldn't shut it off once it's already running. It sounds like a wiring problem to me and that would affect pats.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
My bet is a ground issue.
When you go off road and flex the chassis, the ground makes again until the next time.
The PATS cannot kill the motor once it's running but gets back into the game once you try to restart.
If the issue still is present at restart, the PATS and power may be affected.
Good luck.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:41 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Anybody check the post dates?

Would be nice if the OP would update us.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:30 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Anybody check the post dates?

Would be nice if the OP would update us.
Nope! Yea, that would be nice. Damn, your catching me on the post count, -over 20,000

Yep, your officially addicted.. Gottuh watch it now,- could end up in a asylum.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the Answer?!?! I have EXACT same issue

If there is any update to this post, PLEASE post it - I am having the same issue and it is driving me crazy!

I've used this site many times to troubleshoot my F-150 and Expedition. Thanks to all who take the time to help other folks out!

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
It may not be an electrical problem. Has the throttle body ever been cleaned? That can do it as well.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:30 PM
But the fact that the fact that the gauges drop out and it won't restart have me wondering if it is something in the steering column, the security/key circuit..etc. It' doesn't spit, sputter or anything..it just dies

Old 09-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check the air filter...more importantly the MAF sensor....if it is real dirty or has debris on it it'll act funny like that. My air filter plastic cap came apart on the filter & chunk of filter media landed on the MAF sensor...shut of like a switch.

but like others are saying too...check grounds and connections

Old 09-19-2012, 05:29 PM
I am trying to methodically go through the harness and connections. Are there specific locations that the harnesses are grounded in the cab and/or in the engine compartment?

I am assuming there are multiple ground locations, or is there just the one main ground lug at the firewall in the engine compartment?

Thanks to all who are looking and giving input,
Stan

Old 09-25-2012, 02:49 PM
"shut off while I was driving down the road today. The motor died, the gauges all went to 0, and the odometer showed ------"

My o3 4.6 did that at 10k 6hrs from home in 2ft of snow. I was going 40 in 4x4 in a foot er two of snow with the radio blaring, and I flipped on the overhead light to find my lighter so I could catch a heater.... anyway...considering I bought it with 9800 I would assume it was old gas, and ecm overload from sitting in a barn pre auction......break in period stuff I guess. I found the solution on this site, which is why I joined.

the fix is in here somewhere but let me tell you what I remember from what I did. The post said to disconnect the battery. let it sit. Reconnect, set e-brake, turn her over, set her in drive and let her idle for 15-20 minutes.

Never did it again, I am sitting at 104k now.

good luck.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:47 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
There is no such thing as ECM overload under any conditions.
You ran a stroke of luck doing what you did and don't know what happened.
That is no fix for anything.
Never ever put a vehichle 'in gear' and let it set like that, running for safety reasons. It does not 'fix' anything.
You may not like what I just said but that's ok, as long as you read it.
Good luck.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The op had a connection problem. Hard to say what everyone elses deal is. the odometer only shows ------- when it has lost power. Solid indication of lost connection.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motor died while driving