1997 - 2003 F-150

how to tell if you have automatic door locks

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to tell if you have automatic door locks

how do you tell if you have the automatic door locks? all i got was 2 keys with the truck and would like to buy a clicker on ebay to use the automatic door locks, if i have that option on mine. if so what am i looking for in a clicker ? what years only will work on my 97 ? will i need to go to the dealer to get it programed ? thanks

Old 08-22-2011, 08:31 PM
There are 2 procedure's I believe. Depending on your year. First thing I would do is try the key cycle. When in the truck turn the key to the on position (key on engine off) and back to the off position 8 times within 10 seconds. If the door locks go up and down, it has remote keyless entry. You can also look under the drivers dash, near the e brake lever for a grey box. There was another way on some older 97 and 98's I believe, something to do with jumping a 2 pin connector under the dash.. That I am not sure of, someone else can chime in.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rotate your ignition key off to on 5 times in 8 seconds. If you have fob locks, your doors will lock and unlock. It is then in the program mode. You would press the lock button on your Fob and the would lock and unlock again and they would be programed to that fob.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Toyz
There are 2 procedure's I believe. Depending on your year. First thing I would do is try the key cycle. When in the truck turn the key to the on position (key on engine off) and back to the off position 8 times within 10 seconds. If the door locks go up and down, it has remote keyless entry. You can also look under the drivers dash, near the e brake lever for a grey box. There was another way on some older 97 and 98's I believe, something to do with jumping a 2 pin connector under the dash.. That I am not sure of, someone else can chime in.
Mine is an early 97 model. I do know there are other methods for different models.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:02 AM
Like it was stated. If you turn the key on and off 5 times it will lock and unlock the the doors you have the keyless entry module, and can program key fobs. Any Key fobs from 1997-2003 will work. I currently am using the never ones from a 03.. I tried a 04 and they have a scrolling transmitter meaning the frequency changes, the 97-03 do not..

Old 08-23-2011, 01:07 PM
thank you all so much i hope i have the option

Quick Reply: how to tell if you have automatic door locks