1997 - 2003 F-150

Drivers Window will not go down, relay clicks 2002 f150

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivers Window will not go down, relay clicks 2002 f150

I have a 2002 F-150 extended cab. The drivers side window stopped working today. When I press the down button the relay clicks, the dome light dims under the load, but the window doesn;t even try to move. The passenger side window works from the driver side door. I have no idea if it will work in the up position since I can;t get it down. Any ideas?

Old 12-27-2014, 06:15 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Could be any of the following:

Switch
GEM module
Motor
Regulator
Wiring harness
Other

You'll have to trouble shoot it.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:59 PM
Not helpful, so basically it could be anything. I don't think that it is the switch because the relay is clicking, and there is power to the up side of the pigtail going to the window motor. I also believe the relay to be in working order because I swapped the #4 and #5 relays and got the same disappointing result. I am not sure what to try next.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:54 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
No one here is going to be able to troubleshoot it for you since it is going to have to be a "hands on" exercise.

The diagnostics are not for the faint of heart in that they are not simple since the driver's window controls are not simple.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:12 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you checked for power at the pigtail ( where the motor plugs in, inside the door ) and get + VDC when pressing the up side of the switch, but do not get the reverse polarity when pressing down, that sounds like an issue from the OTD ( One Touch Down ) or the window from the GEM.

Quick test to what is going sideways, apply VDC directly to the motor pigtail.

Apply power one way and the window will go up or down, reverse the polarity and it will go the other direction.

If this works, it could still be switch, but I am guessing GEM.

Test the switch to see if the VDC polarity is reversed when pressing up and down ( this is the D & F arrows on the 2nd diagram ).

If this works, you are having an issue with the GEM.
- Time to check the windshield for leaks and check the GEM to Cab fuse panel for signs of corrosion. The driver's side of the windshield had issues in earlier MYs with a lack of sealant.

The short cut route is to wire the switch directly to the motor, as shown in the switch diagram for the passenger side window. This is the pass side switch to motor part of the diagram, mirror that on the D & R arrows.
- OTD will no longer work, but the window will be direct to the switch instead of using the GEM.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:03 PM
I had the same problem with the window and the relay clicking but did not suspect the switch was a problem until i removed the switch and noticed one of the contacts worn out.

Last edited by f150_truck; 01-01-2015 at 07:04 PM. Reason: update
Old 01-02-2015, 07:24 AM
mine does that once in awhile.. drives me crazy .. i start punching the door panel right around the area of the speaker while i hit the switch and bam itll start working.. which is weird because its a brand new regulator about a year ago..

Old 11-19-2015, 07:30 PM
Changed relay and driver's side motor. Still won't roll up.

2002 4x4 XCab f150. Window won't roll up. Relay was clicking, changed it anyway and changed the motor today. Relay clicking, nothing happening with window. Anyone experienced this issue? Thanks for help.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:40 PM
2003 driver's side window went down by itself while I was driving. Never had this happen before. The driver's side window switch would no longer operate the passenger window, but the passenger window switch would.
After reading many of these posts, I removed the door card, and inspected all the wiring. I unplugged the GEM module and replugged it.
I tried the driver's side switch and it now works. What was the problem? Maybe the GEM connectors were corroded? Wish I could say definitively but I can't.
Just happy it is back working again.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JBloom130
Not helpful, so basically it could be anything. I don't think that it is the switch because the relay is clicking, and there is power to the up side of the pigtail going to the window motor. I also believe the relay to be in working order because I swapped the #4 and #5 relays and got the same disappointing result. I am not sure what to try next.
I had the same issue in my 2000 and replaced the switch assembly. it was stuck in the up position causing the relay to click as you describe here.

Old 12-11-2019, 10:45 PM
12-7-2019. I have owned many 1997-2003 ford f150s. I have had the window problem going up and down for no reason and not working at all. It is not the Gem Module. It is in the plugin the kick plate by the parking brake. Ther is 3 plugs. The one in the middle gets corroded very easy..
All the window switch wires etc run through that plug. I just run the new wire around the corroded ones. check grounds etc. All my f150's have done this problem with windows. This always fixed it. Power locks etc windows etc go through this plug. It is always my fix. 100%. Never had a wire break in the door swing, but had a few switches go out. But that was no click in the switch. Just wore out.

Quick Reply: Drivers Window will not go down, relay clicks 2002 f150