Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F-150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read VendorsGarage

1997 - 2003 F-150 SPONSORED BY:

Old 04-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Garage is empty, add now

2000 ford f150 pats problems

My husband has a 2000 Ford F-150 4.6 lt that absolutely will not start. Had a locksmith come out to reprogram and he said his diagnostics pulled up 4 different codes and programming keys didn't work. We took it to the local ford dealership, it has been there over two weeks, they tried a new pcm, and ignitions switch, checked all wires and it still wont start. We are going to pick up the truck this week and owe the dealership an ungodly amount of money for a nonrunning truck, any and all suggestions would be helpful. Could they possibly have mis-diagnosed the transceiver, and how would we know if it it the cause?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor
1998 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 1998 Ford F-150
Raptor05121 Raptor05121
Send a message via AIM to Raptor05121 Send a message via MSN to Raptor05121 Send a message via Yahoo to Raptor05121
Did you check the fuses?

4.2L V6 - M5OD ~350K miles | SCT XCal3 | K&N Series-77 | 16" Dual Efans | Magnaflow High-Flows
50W 5000K FX-R Projectors | Philips LumiLED Taillights | 60" Plasmaglow Fire & Ice | 2" Drop Shackles
Old 04-26-2011, 09:41 PM
Garage is empty, add now

yeah, the fuses have been checked, I was reading some other posts and someone said that his truck did the same thing but he took a chip out and it started fine, my husband just put a performance chip in about a year ago, maybe this could be the problem?
Old 04-26-2011, 10:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor
1995 Lincoln Towncar
My Garage

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F150
Send a message via MSN to Gotts2BMe
A flash tuner chip where you plug it into the OBDII port or a chip that goes onto the back of the pcm? If it is a chip chip then that can and will cause a no start if the ports were not cleaned well enough or has wiggled itself loose over time. But a new pcm should have cured that.

2006 Ram 5.9L - 2000 F150 5.4L - 1995 town Car 5.4L - 1995 EGT 1.8L - 1991 ELX 1.8L

Nothing stock
Old 04-27-2011, 07:37 AM
Garage is empty, add now

I'm not sure what sort of chip it is, I do know it is from Jet Performance and after reading posts until 1:00am I know how everyone on here feels about them, it made me very skeptical and more questions. Hubby said it just kinda programs something into the pcm, which would have been cleared when the pcm was changed and supposedly reprogrammed at the ford garage, I'm not saying they havent done everything they could think of, but its aggrevating to say the least to still have a truck that we have thousands wrapped up in that still doesnt run.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Garage is empty, add now

I just received a call from the ford dealership, the truck is running, a broken wire in a hard to find place, I don't even remember where he said it was. Only cost us $500 to find this and $100 for a used pcm. Sometimes I really hate technology, but I'm very happy my hubbies truck is back in service.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:09 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2003 Ford F150
Sounds like the dealer is treating you very fairly. Chasing down electrical issues like that can be very time-consuming.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:15 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2002 Ford F150
Checking the fuses is a good idea when strange things begin to happen! Kind of late but thought I'd post this for future viewers. I had the same problem with my truck not starting and the theft light flashing rapidly. I tried some programming tips I found on a forum and was able to start it but had to do this daily. One night driving home from work it just shut down...not much fun trying to stop and steer with no power. I got it to start again and called the dealer the next day. The service dept agreed with me that PATS should not disable the vehicle once it is started. That got me thinking that I should check the fuses in the box under the hood. I found 3 that were not plugged in all the way and pushed them in until they clicked. Problem solved! I have never had a blown fuse and cannot recall ever opening the fuse box so they either came loose on their own or were never seated properly to begin with. Glad they found your broken wire...those are really difficult to diagnose.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:15 PM