1997 - 2003 F-150

2000 ford f150 pats problems

Old 04-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 ford f150 pats problems

My husband has a 2000 Ford F-150 4.6 lt that absolutely will not start. Had a locksmith come out to reprogram and he said his diagnostics pulled up 4 different codes and programming keys didn't work. We took it to the local ford dealership, it has been there over two weeks, they tried a new pcm, and ignitions switch, checked all wires and it still wont start. We are going to pick up the truck this week and owe the dealership an ungodly amount of money for a nonrunning truck, any and all suggestions would be helpful. Could they possibly have mis-diagnosed the transceiver, and how would we know if it it the cause?

Old 04-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you check the fuses?

Old 04-26-2011, 09:41 PM
yeah, the fuses have been checked, I was reading some other posts and someone said that his truck did the same thing but he took a chip out and it started fine, my husband just put a performance chip in about a year ago, maybe this could be the problem?

Old 04-26-2011, 10:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

A flash tuner chip where you plug it into the OBDII port or a chip that goes onto the back of the pcm? If it is a chip chip then that can and will cause a no start if the ports were not cleaned well enough or has wiggled itself loose over time. But a new pcm should have cured that.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:37 AM
I'm not sure what sort of chip it is, I do know it is from Jet Performance and after reading posts until 1:00am I know how everyone on here feels about them, it made me very skeptical and more questions. Hubby said it just kinda programs something into the pcm, which would have been cleared when the pcm was changed and supposedly reprogrammed at the ford garage, I'm not saying they havent done everything they could think of, but its aggrevating to say the least to still have a truck that we have thousands wrapped up in that still doesnt run.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:18 AM
I just received a call from the ford dealership, the truck is running, a broken wire in a hard to find place, I don't even remember where he said it was. Only cost us $500 to find this and $100 for a used pcm. Sometimes I really hate technology, but I'm very happy my hubbies truck is back in service.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:09 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Sounds like the dealer is treating you very fairly. Chasing down electrical issues like that can be very time-consuming.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:15 PM
Checking the fuses is a good idea when strange things begin to happen! Kind of late but thought I'd post this for future viewers. I had the same problem with my truck not starting and the theft light flashing rapidly. I tried some programming tips I found on a forum and was able to start it but had to do this daily. One night driving home from work it just shut down...not much fun trying to stop and steer with no power. I got it to start again and called the dealer the next day. The service dept agreed with me that PATS should not disable the vehicle once it is started. That got me thinking that I should check the fuses in the box under the hood. I found 3 that were not plugged in all the way and pushed them in until they clicked. Problem solved! I have never had a blown fuse and cannot recall ever opening the fuse box so they either came loose on their own or were never seated properly to begin with. Glad they found your broken wire...those are really difficult to diagnose.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 ford f150 pats problems