1997 - 2003 F-150

catalytic converter Question

Old 04-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
catalytic converter Question

99 2WD 4.6L

I was thinking of changing my Cats as i have a bad leak in that area, my manifold and cats are all rusted out. 416,000kms it was bound to happen. I have a neighbor that works for a factory that produces aftermarket cats. He gave me a price of $65.00 each.

Firstly i just want to confirm, do i have 2 cats on this truck? drivers side and passengers side?

also my straight pipe under the truck, muffler and tail pipe was replaced last year. All i am looking to do is replace the exhaust from the engine to the muffler. Im thinking of bringing the cats to a muffler shop and have them do the work. What sort of price should i be looking at for them to do this install if i supply the cats?

Also, i read some posts of people quoting a price of $2000.00 to have their cats replaced. How is that possible? where is this cost coming from?

Old 04-10-2011, 01:15 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
I think you actually have 4 cats. The $2000 is for factory cats. The OBD2 may or may not like aftermarket cats and a muffler shop may or may not work with customer-supplied cats.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Comments;
Seeing where your at, the road conditions are very hard on the underside of any truck.
If you are planning to keep the truck over the long term, you might think about a top grade stainless steel systern as the OEM was.
Going with any less quality will cause replacment much sooner and expense greater than doing a good system the first time around.
If you need emissions, the cat system is not a simple bolt in to be leak free unless it is an exact fit type.
Good luck.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
Comments;
Seeing where your at, the road conditions are very hard on the underside of any truck.
If you are planning to keep the truck over the long term, you might think about a top grade stainless steel systern as the OEM was.
Going with any less quality will cause replacment much sooner and expense greater than doing a good system the first time around.
If you need emissions, the cat system is not a simple bolt in to be leak free unless it is an exact fit type.
Good luck.
How many cats would i have then? 2 or 4?

Old 04-10-2011, 05:15 PM
2 pre cats and 2 regular cats.....check the exhust section. there is a great sticky thread at the top of that section

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: catalytic converter Question