Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F-150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


1997 - 2003 F-150 SPONSORED BY:

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-18-2011, 05:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmond, OK
Vehicle: 2011 Ford F150
Posts: 568
FORDGUIN95
Horsepower on 4.6 V8

i was wondering what upgrades could i do to my EXT Cab 4.6 V8
i wanted to reach somewhere about 300-350 hp w/o major add ons like turbo/supercharger
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-18-2011, 05:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Beaverton Or.
Vehicle: 07 Ford F150
Posts: 3,220
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-18-2011, 05:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pasadena, Maryland
Vehicle: 2002 Ford F-150
Posts: 1,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998f150wes View Post
i wanted to reach somewhere about 300-350 hp w/o major add ons like turbo/supercharger
<--- LOL

Best thing I can tell you dude is to research custom tuning, and drop your expectations for HP numbers with out supercharging.
__________________
- Chris


02' F-150 XLT Sport | 4.2L | 4x2
6" RCD lift | 4.56LS | RCD rear traction bars
Troyer Tuned XCAL2 | AF1 intake
285/70/17 Michelin LTX AT2
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-18-2011, 05:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Beaverton Or.
Vehicle: 07 Ford F150
Posts: 3,220
Right now your at 220hp/265tq (non PI 4.6L)
Cost wise for a N/A numbers like what your looking for, you would be better off with a PI 5.4 swap, a set of heads, LT's, E fans and a custom tune. Even then, your looking at 3-4k+ and thats being generous. Otherwise, forced induction..


99+ PI 5.4L= 260hp/350tq

Last edited by Toyz; 01-18-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-18-2011, 05:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmond, OK
Vehicle: 2011 Ford F150
Posts: 568
FORDGUIN95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyz View Post
Right now your at 220hp/265tq (non PI 4.6L)
Cost wise for a N/A numbers like what your looking for, you would be better off with a PI 5.4 swap, a set of heads, LT's, E fans and a custom tune. Even then, your looking at 3-4k+ and thats being generous. Otherwise, forced induction..


99+ PI 5.4L= 260hp/350tq
i didnt know i was that low on hp i quess ill be looking for a turbo or would it be easier to get to 250 w/o turbo

Last edited by 1998f150wes; 01-18-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Vehicle: 2008 FORD F150
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998f150wes View Post
i was wondering what upgrades could i do to my EXT Cab 4.6 V8
i wanted to reach somewhere about 300-350 hp w/o major add ons like turbo/supercharger

My 2008 5.4 is rated @ 300 hp. I now have an Edge programmer and Magnaflow exhaust and I would be lucky if I'm pushing 350 hp now.
__________________
2008 Ford F150 FX4
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: farmington hills, MI
Vehicle: 1997 ford f-150
Posts: 3,439
Send a message via AIM to shifty_85 Send a message via MSN to shifty_85
when i dynoed my truck i had a CAI, E-fan, shorty headers no cats true dual into Dynomax super turbos. my truck made 190 hp and 234 Ftlbs at 4,200RPM thats Rear wheel HP the numbers in the book/from the factory are fly wheel. lots of drive line loss.

ive added longtubes a tune and free flowing mufflers since then i need to go dyno again im prob around 220-240 Rear wheel hp now.
__________________
97 F-150 4.6L
1 lincon mark 8 24" fan 3,700 CFM
K&N77 intake *kidna*
Pacesetter Long tubes 3" collector
2 1/2" into dynomax ultra flows True duals
Sniper custom tuned by ME! *Hillbilly HP*

Mods to come. 8.8 disc brakes 4.10s/ built 5.4 cams and blower
Quote:
F-150: It'll squat but NEVER stop!
190HP 220Ftlbs *dyno before headers and tuner*

*The more parts that say MOTORCRAFT the happyer the triton motor*
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Beaverton Or.
Vehicle: 07 Ford F150
Posts: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998f150wes View Post
i didnt know i was that low on hp i quess ill be looking for a turbo or would it be easier to get to 250 w/o turbo
If you have a lot of miles, I wouldn't recommend any forced induction without a rebuild. A lot of 4.6 guys swap to PI 5.4's when theirs take a dump and love the gains. A fairly easy swap and lots of info around here to walk you through it. You could expect to find low mileage 5.4's for around 1000-1600. From there you can start bolting things on such as exhaust with headers, high flow cats, intake, E fans and follow up with a tune. Guarantee youll love it over your stock non PI 4.6

Last edited by Toyz; 01-18-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-18-2011, 08:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmond, OK
Vehicle: 2011 Ford F150
Posts: 568
FORDGUIN95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyz View Post
If you have a lot of miles, I wouldn't recommend any forced induction without a rebuild. A lot of 4.6 guys swap to PI 5.4's when theirs take a dump and love the gains. A fairly easy swap and lots of info around here to walk you through it. You could expect to find low mileage 5.4's for around 1000-1600. From there you can start bolting things on such as exhaust with headers, high flow cats, intake, E fans and follow up with a tune. Guarantee youll love it over your stock non PI 4.6
my truck has 188k
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-18-2011, 09:25 PM
glc glc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Joplin MO
Vehicle: 2003 Ford F150
Posts: 28,839
I wouldn't do ANY mods to an engine with 188k with the idea of getting more power without doing a complete rebuild.
__________________
2003 F-150 XL RCSB 2wd 4.2 M5OD 3.55 LS
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmond, OK
Vehicle: 2011 Ford F150
Posts: 568
FORDGUIN95
Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty_85 View Post
when i dynoed my truck i had a CAI, E-fan, shorty headers no cats true dual into Dynomax super turbos. my truck made 190 hp and 234 Ftlbs at 4,200RPM thats Rear wheel HP the numbers in the book/from the factory are fly wheel. lots of drive line loss.

ive added longtubes a tune and free flowing mufflers since then i need to go dyno again im prob around 220-240 Rear wheel hp now.
let me know when you dyno again take a pic of the screen
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: farmington hills, MI
Vehicle: 1997 ford f-150
Posts: 3,439
Send a message via AIM to shifty_85 Send a message via MSN to shifty_85
Crappy pics but heres the old dyno run.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
97 F-150 4.6L
1 lincon mark 8 24" fan 3,700 CFM
K&N77 intake *kidna*
Pacesetter Long tubes 3" collector
2 1/2" into dynomax ultra flows True duals
Sniper custom tuned by ME! *Hillbilly HP*

Mods to come. 8.8 disc brakes 4.10s/ built 5.4 cams and blower
Quote:
F-150: It'll squat but NEVER stop!
190HP 220Ftlbs *dyno before headers and tuner*

*The more parts that say MOTORCRAFT the happyer the triton motor*
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-18-2011, 10:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmond, OK
Vehicle: 2011 Ford F150
Posts: 568
FORDGUIN95
Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty_85 View Post
Crappy pics but heres the old dyno run.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
dang thats low (mine is bone stock) and also where did you buy your tune
let me know if you do another dyno run because im about to put long tubes on it and 4.10's and a tune
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,592
Your best bet(if you wanna keep the 4.6) is rebuilding the block and switching the heads out with PI heads and a set of mild cams. I would say if you did the head swap and put some long tubes on there with a decent dual exhaust set up and ran efans and got it custom tuned you might pull 350 at the crank. But even if you hit that number you'll lose a decent chunk in the drivetrain and those will be peak numbers at really high RPMs. You would be better off buying a low mileage 5.4 and trying to find a used supercharger. I have a non-PI 4.6 in my truck also. Its procharged and intercooled, has dual exhaust, 4:56s, and a 90mm MAF and I doubt make much more than 280 or so at the wheels.
__________________


Thanks Watson 91
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: farmington hills, MI
Vehicle: 1997 ford f-150
Posts: 3,439
Send a message via AIM to shifty_85 Send a message via MSN to shifty_85
yeah the 4.6L in the trucks doesnt do that great. in the mustangs they haul ***** but not so much when you add on a couple more 1,000lbs.

if you want lots of power get a PI 5.4L i have a 99PI block and heads sitting in my basement for when i have the money to rebuild it.

i drove a stock 2001 Super crew with a 5.4L it seemed like i didnt have to beat the motor to get the truck to move. thats how my truck felt after i put the tune on it it brought all my mods together so the computer could finally know whats going on.

i have Sniper custom tune by my self. no wait times its 425 bucks for the program and interface but you can tune 2 ford gas from 96-04 maybe even more now. i went half n half with my buddy so we each only payed 200 bucks for a custom tune. its very simple drop box's for everything and sniper has awesome customer support. we had an interface prob and within a week they sent us a new one free. made a world of diff in my truck. shifts firmer and holds out the RPM longer on WOT runs. no more CEL from EGR or rear o2's just feels like a diff. truck. i love it. wish i woulda got it sooner.

heres my F150 thread on it.
Sniper

Click the image to open in full size.

See easy drop box's
if you look around you could prob get a better deal but 350-430 is avg price.
Here is snipers site.
http://www.deltaforcetuning.com/Spec...-p/sp-5000.htm

Hope that helps. i love the sniper! no wait time is awesome!

oh dont post in that sniper thread dont wanna bring another thread back from the dead...
__________________
97 F-150 4.6L
1 lincon mark 8 24" fan 3,700 CFM
K&N77 intake *kidna*
Pacesetter Long tubes 3" collector
2 1/2" into dynomax ultra flows True duals
Sniper custom tuned by ME! *Hillbilly HP*

Mods to come. 8.8 disc brakes 4.10s/ built 5.4 cams and blower
Quote:
F-150: It'll squat but NEVER stop!
190HP 220Ftlbs *dyno before headers and tuner*

*The more parts that say MOTORCRAFT the happyer the triton motor*

Last edited by shifty_85; 01-19-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:33 PM


 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:11 AM.





This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
 
Contact Us Advertising Privacy Statement Terms of Service Jobs Forum Text Archives
Emails & Contact Details