1997 - 2003 F-150

4wheel drive, front end not engaging (?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4wheel drive, front end not engaging (?)

Hello
I've read a few post on here about this but I am still stumped. If anyone has anymore input on what to check or do, would be awesome!

First off we have a 2000 Ford f150 v6 manual transmission. I believe its called MOSF (manual shift into 4 wheel).

The 4 wheel drive stopped working in a blizzard the other day on my hubby. He came to a stop and when forward, and bam NO 4 wheel drive. !
No clunking, grinding.. ect..

The front end does not go into or lock into 4 wheel drive.
The lights on the dash all work correctly, when put into 4 high and 4 low.

Everything for 4 wheel works until it get to the front differential.
We have checked the actuator (the round black thing) and that is turning which i believe tells the truck to go in and out of 4 wheel drive.
We took the cover off the front differential and everything looks great inside. No shaving ect...

I moved that little rod peice that goes into the differentail.. It is also what the actuator is connected to. It will only move 1/4 inch but it is moving easily.

Another insite, we had the front end off the ground, the truck locked into 4 wheel drive and we could turn the drive shaft (the one connected to the front differential) freely without moving the tires. *I don't know if your suppose to be able to do that or not

Anything will help at this point.. Thanks Angel

Old 01-05-2011, 12:09 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by antlermass
Hello

Another insite, we had the front end off the ground, the truck locked into 4 wheel drive and we could turn the drive shaft (the one connected to the front differential) freely without moving the tires. *I don't know if your suppose to be able to do that or not

Anything will help at this point.. Thanks Angel
This is an indication the the transfer case is not engaging. Because the lights turned on in the dash the GEM is seeing the request for 4x4 so the front axle should engage. Did any of the front wheels turn when you turned the front drive shaft? Check the shift linkage to the transfercase for binding. failing that you will need to open up the transfercase to check the guts. I suspect a shift fork.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:51 PM
We had the cover off and I think* our problem is on the left side of transfercase. I added some pictures at the link below, That black round thing which I think is the actuator is working when put into 2 to 4 wheel drive. That bar that its connected to which goes into the left side of transfercase, moves approximetly 1/4 of an inch, and it moves freely.
We think the problem is whatever is in the box part-- In the picture on the left side, above the actuator.

-where is the shift linkage and what does that look like?
- where is the shift fork located?
-How do we tear into this? Should we break it apart at the bolts right next to the transfer case or the sections after?

I added some pictures of what we have so far and maybe that will help when trying to explain to me!

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/th...NAME=snapfish/

(let me know, if that does not work)

Thank you for the help, it really does help tremendously!
SORRY for my poor references to parts- I am searching everything to try and understand!
Angel

Last edited by antlermass; 01-05-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:58 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57929341@N02/show/

let me know if this one does not work

Old 01-05-2011, 09:43 PM
JMC

Your link is to pictures of the front axle. The cover your removed is the front differential cover. The round black thing that pushed a rod in and out is the front axle actuator motor. Below is a picture of the front axle in an exploded view.

Below is a picture of the front differential.

In the top picture #10 pushes #25 and that ( look at bottom Picture ) pushes #13 and that slides #14 over #15 and (top picture) #11 to lock them together.

The transfer case is behind the transmission. Look at the top picture. #1 and #11 connect to the front halfshafts which go to the wheels. #100 is what the front drive shaft connects to. The front drive shaft connects the differential to the transfer case.

So, when you turned the front driveshaft with the front in the air and locked in 4x4, what did you turn? #1, #11 or #100?

Last edited by JMC; 01-05-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:02 PM
I have been searching the web for something like that for 3 days, where do you find diagrams like this?

wheels in air, turning front driveshaft, it spins all the gears in the inside of differential. Does not spin tires.

#100 in top picture

Old 01-05-2011, 10:14 PM
JMC

When you turn the front driveshaft, #100, it should turn at the very least 1 of the wheels. It will take 3½ turns to turn the wheels 1 turn so it may look like the wheels are not turning. To eliminate the transfer case as a problem you need to lift and support only the front wheels off the ground. With the transmission in P (automatic) or N( manual transmission) key on shift into 4Hi. Try to turn the front drive shaft. It should not turn because it is being blocked by the fact that the rear wheels cannot turn. If it doesn't turn the transfercase is working properly.

BTW I get the pics from a shop manual. Thanks to jbrew for showing me a quick way to post them.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:28 PM
No the drive shafts do not turn.

So that rules out the transfercase!

Where is the shift fork located and what does that look like?

Thank for the diagrams too!

Old 01-07-2011, 03:26 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by JMC

BTW I get the pics from a shop manual. Thanks to jbrew for showing me a quick way to post them.
No problem, it's the least I could do for the stuff you given me in the past.

Btw- you can change perimeter colors if you like. Iduno, I kind of like red. I think I changed mine to clear or white.

antlermass - You can get the DVD manuals on Ebay. Get the Ford Service Info, Workshop, Wiring (EVTM), PC/ED that covers your model. Then learn how to use it, that's on the DVD as well.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by antlermass
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57929341@N02/show/

let me know if this one does not work
Great slide show, - yea it works. Great pics of the actuator. That's usually the number 1 cause of problems. You have to service those once in awhile, - lube them up and work them.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Tore into the front passenger side of differntial !!

I think its the shift fork, number 13 on bottom diagram.
The shift fork looked good, the plastic peices that are on the tip of it (number 13), were broken in half on the inside though.

Called around numerous places and everyone wanted to sell the kit with all the gears for $270, but we finally found a local guy that ordered in just the clips for $3.00!

We are hoping after we get it all back together that this was the problem!

I want to say THANK YOU JMC for putting the diagram up! Helped A LOT ... Thanks JBREW for showing him how to put them up!

Old 01-07-2011, 02:16 PM
I have one more question, what kind of liquid/lube is recommeneded for the front differential?

Old 01-07-2011, 06:33 PM

You can download a Owners Manual for your truck here,- Manuals ,if you don't have one. That should give you the info and quantity.

If not,-

SAE 75W-90 ---------------- 1.66-1.75L (3.5-3.7 pints)

Old 01-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Thank you!

So the guy that was going to get us the fork sleeves i belive they are called, those plastic peices- can not get them!

So anyone out there maybe have a broken fork with those sleeves that are still good, and would want to sell them??

Otherwise off to the dealer to buy the whole fork kit!

Quick Reply: 4wheel drive, front end not engaging (?)