1997 - 2003 F-150

Problem with gauges HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 02:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with gauges HELP!

I have a 2000 F-150. I was replacing the bulb for the ABS light in my gauge cluster since I am selling the truck and want to be honest about the problem. During the process the tach battery voltage and temp gauge stopped working..... Does anybody have any insight on what I could have done? I have someone coming to look at buying it tomorrow and I don't want to lose the deal over something silly. Thanks

Old 01-07-2011, 03:07 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
The only thing I can think of is you didn't plug all the connectors in properly. Or you may have gotten oil on the cluster ribbon, from your fingers while working on it. I believe there's 3 connectors back there. - On the 98 there is anyway. Yea, it's something simple IMO.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:35 AM
Is there a fuse i should check? I noticed the tach quit before I disconnected the two plugs. I was under the impression I could change the bulb through the little hole on the back side of the cluster without taking it apart. I got the bulb out with a needle nose but realized i wouldnt be able to get the new one in. Then I saw the gauges stopped working, but the warning lights and back lighting works on the cluster.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:44 AM

What may have happened, one of the cluster plugs may have worked itself out while you were working on it.

A fuse ? Did you disconnect the battery before working on the cluster ? That's the first thing you do anyway.

It might be a fuse, not sure. That little manual in the glove box gives you the lay out. Or you can download a manual here -

Manuals

Old 01-07-2011, 10:53 AM
i checked all the fuses and the two plugs on the back of the cluster and they all seem fine. Its weird because its just the three gauges on the right side of the cluster that are giving me problems. Tach temp and battery. I think im screwed

Old 01-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Check the ribbons on the back of the cluster. They can come loose, which would cause certain things to fail. Ive had it happen. There are little clip looking things (I dont know the specific term for these) that hold the ribbons in. Pull these clips out, make sure the ribbons are in the slot correctly, place clips back in. Make sure your hands are clean while doing this.

-MColford

Old 01-07-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by mcolford
Check the ribbons on the back of the cluster. They can come loose, which would cause certain things to fail. Ive had it happen. There are little clip looking things (I dont know the specific term for these) that hold the ribbons in. Pull these clips out, make sure the ribbons are in the slot correctly, place clips back in. Make sure your hands are clean while doing this.

-MColford
x2. I bet your right.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:39 PM
go to the junk yard and get one for like 25 bucks orso but make sure they test it for u i did this on mine cuz it wasent reading my gas and tempetur rite

Quick Reply: Problem with gauges HELP!