1997 - 2003 F-150

Leaf spring squeak

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaf spring squeak

So I have developed a nice creek/squeak in my driver side leaf spring. it is the leaf spring itself, in the stack of them. I can spray it with WD-40 or any lubricant, and it goes away for a couple weeks, but I have done this a few times, and its just getting annoying. Is there any way to get rid of this noise for good? Taking them out and painting them or caking them with a grease or something?

-Matt

Old 11-16-2010, 05:41 AM
Wise man once asked why ask a question you already know the answer for? Seriously though you gave good answers to the question is their an easier way though would be the question I would ask.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:59 AM
jack the frame up so that the leafs seperate then clean them with soap and water and a power washer...also this happend on my brother tacoma what he did was jacked the frame cleaned them and put rubber like 1/8inch rubber in between them and lowerd the truck back down....hasnt had them squeek ever since and he goes through mud with it and gets it dirty all the time..mine are starting to do this so when i feel like not being lazy i'll do it to

Old 11-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Sbclurxc... Laziness is not an issue, it comes down to doing someting that has been proven to work.

Mud-Digger.. Thanks, I will have to run up to Tractor Supply and see if I can find something that will work.

-Matt

Old 11-16-2010, 04:50 PM
my 02 screw is doing this as well glad I'm not the only one!! I like the rubber idea!! What type of rubber should I use? My dad has suggested using some old semi truck mudflaps for the rubber. He has a few of those lying around since he drives a gas tanker for a living!!

Old 11-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by MUD DIGGER
jack the frame up so that the leafs seperate then clean them with soap and water and a power washer...also this happend on my brother tacoma what he did was jacked the frame cleaned them and put rubber like 1/8inch rubber in between them and lowerd the truck back down....hasnt had them squeek ever since and he goes through mud with it and gets it dirty all the time..mine are starting to do this so when i feel like not being lazy i'll do it to
Did the same thing. Those plastic spacer inserts Ford uses don't last. BUT , they do sell them believe it or not. I think JMC purchased some lol. I made up my own as well. No more irritating squeak.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:37 PM
Just to clarify I wasn't insinuating you were being lazy all I was saying was the things you mentioned would work and trying to get someone to post somewhat of an easier method. Mission accomplished sorry if you took that the wrong way.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:52 PM
scblurxc.. Its all good man. Just had a ****ty day so really nothing would have went well with me LOL!

I like the mudflap idea, may have to get ahold of one of my guys over at our local semi shop.

-Matt

Quick Reply: Leaf spring squeak