Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F-150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

1997 - 2003 F-150 SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 09-18-2010, 01:51 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Oil Dipstick Tube Replacement

My dipstick tube rusted and broke. I have a new dipstick tube from ford for my 1997 ford 5.4. Can the tube be installed without removing the stock manifold. It appears to be not sliding down between the manifold and block freely.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:49 AM
1997 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
Send a message via ICQ to Klitch
2 things hold it in, 1 bolt midway on block, and that dried up o-ring will be a bear. Yes you can replace it without fiddling with anything else.

good luck!

built and blueprinted Lightning powerplant with p&p heads, race built 4r70w by Darrin @ BC-Automotive
Now on 1-Tons Dyno 436/475
Transmission Saga. avoid www.Engineworldusa.com, junk import motors.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:58 AM
Garage is empty, add now

The old dipstick tube is removed. I tried to push the new tube from the top of the engine through the opening in the exhaust manifold and the bend in the tube prevented it from going through. I didn't want to force it and end up with another broken dipstick tube. Is there any special way to feed it through the opening in the manifold?
Old 09-18-2010, 11:09 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150 4.6
I had the same problem with my 98. I ended up cutting the dipstick tube with a pipe cutter down by the manifold, putting the piece in that goes into the pan and then connecting the top part with a thick piece of rubber tubing. Held the whole thing together with hose clamps. It's been 2 years now. Still holding up. Can be a pita to get the dipstick back in sometimes though because the two parts of the tube aren't perfectly lined up. But it saved me the trouble of having to remove the exhaust manifold.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2002 F150 super crew
Up on replacing my tube on a 4.6, I found the tube too long to get in place without cutting about 1" off the bottom of the tube.
There is about 3" +/- below the seal flange to work with.
You need the tube and stick to be air tight because the crankcase is part of the detection system and may set a code if the crankcase closed system has a leak to the outside.
Good luck.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:35 PM
Garage is empty, add now

I got it to work. I had to cut off the bolt mounting bracket and force it from the bottom up (had to also remove the fender well). I may try to jb weld the mounting bracket on, but it is not going anywhere. I also had to use a prybar to slightly bend the tube to fit into the oil hole in the block.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:35 PM