1997 - 2003 F-150

Rear slider leaking...again...

Old 11-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear slider leaking...again...

As if I haven't had enough problems lately, the rear slider in my 99 F150 is leaking again. Had it fixed in 2008 and it's leaking from the same spot on the passenger side. I was talking to a service guy at Ford trying to get an idea of a local glass place that will hook it up as I don't have the time to dedicate to doing it myself and he said an easy fix is filling the gap around the window panes with RTV sealant will fix it (not ideal, but spending a few bucks is better than spending 100+ especially after dropping some coin on a new fuel pump).

At this point, looks don't much matter but I'm curious if that will actually fix the leak for the time being. Anyway, thanks for listening to me whine! Maybe in a year or two I'll upgrade to a 2009 or newer to give myself a break from working on trucks for a while!

Old 11-08-2014, 10:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
glad I dont have one of those!

Old 11-09-2014, 06:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That was their recommendation?

Since it's the butyl seal inside the frame that goes bad, RTV all over the place won't do a lick of good.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Which slider to you have?

The old type (edge of glass exposed) tend to have the frames crack, which is somewhere between difficult and impossible to repair.

Both types can leak between the frame and the cab. There are several good write-ups on this repair on the forum.

The plastic panel around the window does nothing to seal the window. Pumping a bunch of silicon between the cab or glass and this plastic surround trying to seal a leak is pretty much a fool's errand.

Old type slider ...

Old-type '97-'03 slider

New type slider

Improved Slider

Old 11-11-2014, 09:27 PM
I have the old slider and the frame is cracked at the top and bottom on the passenger side, which is where the water is again coming from.

Having had this fixed in 2008 I thought it was funny that the dude said silicone was the cure. To truly fix it, I think the entire window needs replaced due to the cracks in the frame.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:48 PM
I fixed my 03 where it was cracked on the inside with some epoxy applied to the plastic. The reason the plastic cracked is it was over-tightened...with the right application tool and some quick set epoxy the repair taks 5 minutes.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:49 PM
I have both a 1999 (slider rear window) and 2000 (fixed rear window) F-150, which were leaking badly. fix fot the fixed window:

I masked off the outside trim and glass (just so I would not have to scrape so much) , obtained a can of clear "flexseal" (am sure there are other brands too) which is basically liquid rubber. Changed the nozzle to the type which has a small red tube for precision application (like on a WD-40 can), and liberally, using numerous coats, applied the liquid rubber. It sealed the leak well, the next night we had a torrential deluge and no leak.
Did the same for the sliding rear window on the 1999, but its leaking where the slider connects to the fixed portion. Will have to work on that. It sealed the window in all areas except the area mentioned, though. Much cheaper and easier than replacing the butyl rubber gasket. Just sayin'.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:17 PM
I read the 3rd brake lights tend to leak. I think its my sliding glass that is leaking. I had a 97 F150 and it had water behind the seat too. I suspected sliding glass was leaking on 97 as well. Any recalls? My truck just sitting seems that the front windshield condensates up just sitting empty.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:21 AM
Originally Posted by AlfredB18
That was their recommendation?

Since it's the butyl seal inside the frame that goes bad, RTV all over the place won't do a lick of good.
I agree. Had the same problem on my '97. There are two little "horseshoes" in the sealant that hold trash (leaves, dirt, etc.) and in turn hold water. This is where I would think the leak is coming from. I tried silicone on the 3rd brake light, no good. My neighbor tried the method that you are talking about- did not fix the problem. I had a reputable glass company remount mine ($125) about 5 years ago and it hasn't leaked since.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear slider leaking...again...