1997 - 2003 F-150

Starter will not disengage

Old 09-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Starter will not disengage

I just replaced my starter because it went dead. I am now assuming it went dead because the solenoid on the starter burned up. I say this because now that I have installed my third new starter, it always stays engaged after starting the engine.

The mystery here is that I have done "ALL" of what I think is the obvious.

1. Replaced Starter.
2. Replaced Starter switch (Switch/Relay that is mounted on the firewall)
3. Battery is fully charged.
4. Replaced Ignition Switch
5. Snipped end of ground wire and reattached new clean connector for bolting to 3rd (bottom) bolt on starter for grounding.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Old 09-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Are you sure you have the starter relay hooked up right? The two heavy wires go on the bottom post nothing on the top post except the thin metal factory peice. If this is hooked up wroung it will burn your starter up every time.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:51 AM
THANK YOU!!!! That was it! In my process of over-thinking the simple, I put one on top and the other on the bottom post.

Running like a charm now!

Old 09-06-2010, 07:03 AM
glad you got it fixed i had the same problem one time fried 3 starters before i seen my brother had it hooked up wroung. its easy to do when your in a hurry to get your ride back on the road. people on this site will help you with anything they are good people welcome aboard.and give back if you can help someone with a problem.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by smcder
THANK YOU!!!! That was it! In my process of over-thinking the simple, I put one on top and the other on the bottom post.

Running like a charm now!
Huh, I've never done that one. My truck has cranked over before , when I was washing it. Thought it was possessed lol. I had a hole in the cable insulation and my harness was holding water.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:37 PM
Hi 2001 F150 XLT 5.4L here ,im having the same issue ive been through 4 starters and they all would not disengage. I believe im hooking the wires up right? theres a solid black cable that I put on the starter solenoid. the small red wire I put on the th small terminal and theres the kinda big 2 wires on a metal connector that you use to ground on the bottom bolt or stud. Am I wiring it up right guys?

Old 05-06-2015, 08:42 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Triton150
Hi 2001 F150 XLT 5.4L here ,im having the same issue ive been through 4 starters and they all would not disengage. I believe im hooking the wires up right? theres a solid black cable that I put on the starter solenoid. the small red wire I put on the th small terminal and theres the kinda big 2 wires on a metal connector that you use to ground on the bottom bolt or stud. Am I wiring it up right guys?
There are no wires you ground on the starter. I don't understand how you're hooking it up from your description, but I'm pretty confident it's wrong.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:15 AM
That's what im asking. I put the small red wire on the small terminal on the starter solenoid. the I put the big black one on the larger terminal post across from the terminal with the thin piece of metal going to the starter motor. Then theres another black cable down there it looks like two black cables but theyre connected at the end on a metal connector/washer looking thing. And when I originally took the 1st starter off that wire was on the bottom stud bolt and had two nut on it.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by rglass62
Are you sure you have the starter relay hooked up right? The two heavy wires go on the bottom post nothing on the top post except the thin metal factory peice. If this is hooked up wroung it will burn your starter up every time.
You're the man!!! your post got me straightened out .... thank goodness ... after only one starter. That top bolt is a BEAST!!!!

Old 10-05-2016, 09:49 AM
2000 Ford F150 XL 4x4 4.2L V6

]I just replaced my starter because it went dead. I am now assuming it went dead because the solenoid on the starter burned up. I say this because now that I have installed my third new starter, it always stays engaged after starting the engine.

1. Replaced Starter.
5. Snipped end of ground wire and reattached new clean connector for bolting to 3rd (bottom) bolt on starter for grounding.

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-05-2016, 10:33 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
The starter can't remain engaged if you put the cables back where they belong.
What you have now is once the start relay pulls up the mis wiring hold it up and keeps the starter connected to the battery.
The firewall relay should only be controlled by the ignition switch in start position
That circuit runs through the transmission selector in PARK and Neutral only..
Take a look at another truck's wiring if your not sure or take the leads off and ID the ignition lead with a voltmeter and put it on the correct terminal.
Good luck.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:41 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by waynedupre48
]I just replaced my starter because it went dead. I am now assuming it went dead because the solenoid on the starter burned up. I say this because now that I have installed my third new starter, it always stays engaged after starting the engine.

1. Replaced Starter.

Thanks in advance!
Did you see post #2 in this thread?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter will not disengage