1997 - 2003 F-150

Starter froozen to fly wheel on cold nights

Old 03-14-2022, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter froozen to fly wheel on cold nights

Background is I have a 2001 KR 5.4L. My issue is that when it's 20 degF or below over night, my starter will "freeze" and will not turn the fly wheel when I turn the key. I have to get my barrel propane heater out and point the heat at it for a few minutes then it will start right up. I did replace the starter last year and over the winter I've been getting the underbody washed at the local car wash. Is this a normal issue with the starter or is it because my starter is not sealing and keeping the water out? It's a rockauto starter but not sure what brand. I'm considering replacing before next winter so I don't have same issue but looking for some advice on fixing existing starter if I can.

Old 03-14-2022, 04:14 PM
J_P
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It's not a normal issue. I would suspect the starter is the issue. Try not washing and see if that changes the problem..

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-15-2022, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I suspect moisture got into the starter during the underbody wash. I haven't washed it in over a week but still frooze Friday night into Saturday. Is there a known brand starter that is sealed enough to not let in moisture? If so I think I will replace it with that one so I can continue to get the underbody washed regularly during the winter.

Old 03-15-2022, 01:49 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
I'd look into the warranty on the starter that you bought. It should be at least 12 months.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-18-2022, 11:22 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by judedwar
Well I suspect moisture got into the starter during the underbody wash. I haven't washed it in over a week but still frooze Friday night into Saturday. Is there a known brand starter that is sealed enough to not let in moisture? If so I think I will replace it with that one so I can continue to get the underbody washed regularly during the winter.
sounds to me like there’s a lot more to this story, I wash my dailys all winter without any issues

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter froozen to fly wheel on cold nights