1997 - 2003 F-150

Front Differential Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Differential Removal

I would think the removal of the front differentials on the F150 and the Expy/Navigators whould be same. Below is what I posted on the Expy/Navi forum. I know this forum gets much more traffic so I thought it would be baneficial to post over here also.

I have been searching for instructions or a How-To on removal of the front differential on a 99 Navigator. I am going to put it in my 01 Expedition.

I am pulling the whole center section and swapping it out.

Can anyone help out a novice 4x4 backyard mechanic.

Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mel

Old 07-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
One thread per subject, please. Deleted the other one as you will more likely get more views in this forum. If you want it moved, just PM me.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by melman
I would think the removal of the front differentials on the F150 and the Expy/Navigators whould be same. Below is what I posted on the Expy/Navi forum. I know this forum gets much more traffic so I thought it would be baneficial to post over here also.

I have been searching for instructions or a How-To on removal of the front differential on a 99 Navigator. I am going to put it in my 01 Expedition.

I am pulling the whole center section and swapping it out.

Can anyone help out a novice 4x4 backyard mechanic.

Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mel
Yea, PM your email address. I'll send you the procedure from service.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:08 AM

Done

Old 07-05-2010, 02:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I unbolted mine and kicked it vehemently... Does this count as advice?

Old 07-05-2010, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Klitch
I unbolted mine and kicked it vehemently... Does this count as advice?
I would count it, -but a BFH hurts allot less

Old 07-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew

I wanted to thank you sir for the instructions. The Navi front end removel was a breeze. I unbolted it and just started lightly tapping with a hammer and it started coming out. The rest is history.

Oh yea, I was standing on it as I tapped it. Seemed to help with the added 170 lbs on top to start it moving.

I guess I won't be able to stand on my Expy since the motor is still in it.

Thanks for everyone's help,
Mel

Last edited by melman; 07-12-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by melman
I wanted to thank you sir for the instructions. The Navi front end removel was a breeze. I unbolted it and just started lightly tapping with a hammer and it started coming out. The rest is history.

Oh yea, I was standing on it as I tapped it. Seemed to help with the added 170 lbs on top to start it moving.

I guess I won't be able to stand on my Expy since the motor is still in it.

Thanks for everyone's help,
Mel
Yea, I just read your email, -no problem. I've managed to collect service DVD's from techs on this site. I think I've only had to pay for one, -my first for my vehicle. It's nice having the info at your fingertips and having it available for fellow members of this site.

Glad it helped, makes it worth having.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:14 PM
Can you email me the instructions ryurich18@hotmail.com I got to swap my front diff out

Old 03-26-2015, 09:11 AM
Jbrew, or nayone else who has already recieved this tech article can you please send it to me as well? Ill PM you my email address if so.

On a side note....

Guys, I have a 2001 Screw 4x4 with a 4 inch Procomp lift and for some reason i keep breaking Moog lower ball joints. The truck came with the lift so im not sure what the issue could be and the suspension shop I took it to said all was good after he installed camber adjusters on it but just broke ball joint #2 in less than 20,000 miles. That is issue #1!
Now issue #2: When this one broke it pulled the entire 1/2 shaft completely out of the diff. I can see in my diagram that a C-clip of some kind is all that keeps it from coming out (as far as I can tell), My question is.... Can this be fixed without removing the front Diff? and is it just a circlip that holds that shaft and spindle from comming out? Any help would be gratly appreciated!

Old 03-27-2015, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Shindog
Jbrew, or nayone else who has already recieved this tech article can you please send it to me as well? Ill PM you my email address if so.

On a side note....

Guys, I have a 2001 Screw 4x4 with a 4 inch Procomp lift and for some reason i keep breaking Moog lower ball joints. The truck came with the lift so im not sure what the issue could be and the suspension shop I took it to said all was good after he installed camber adjusters on it but just broke ball joint #2 in less than 20,000 miles. That is issue #1!
Now issue #2: When this one broke it pulled the entire 1/2 shaft completely out of the diff. I can see in my diagram that a C-clip of some kind is all that keeps it from coming out (as far as I can tell), My question is.... Can this be fixed without removing the front Diff? and is it just a circlip that holds that shaft and spindle from comming out? Any help would be gratly appreciated!
Anyone?

Old 05-26-2019, 05:09 AM
97 4x4 f150

Hadencole2012@gmail.com

Old 09-02-2020, 02:58 PM

On a side note....

did you yet the clip

Old 09-02-2020, 02:59 PM
Help

On a side note....

Was you able to get the clip figured out. I'm having the same problem.

Old 09-26-2020, 10:48 PM
Jbrew can I get that info about taking removing the front differential I have a 2000 expedition and I need to replace the front differential email is liltori0038@gmail.com

Thank you

Quick Reply: Front Differential Removal