1997 - 2003 F-150

2002 f150 4x4- (pics included) need help making it look better!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 f150 4x4- (pics included) need help making it look better!

I'm 18 years old so I don't have much money. I need some help making my truck look better and less stock. I want to lift it and get better tires and rims on it but it seems to cost way to much money. I also though about getting new headlights/tai lights/brake light. Does anyone know anything I can do to make it look better, or a cheaper way to lift it or cheaper rims/tires that look good? I need help! Any tips are greatly appreciated! HELP! Thanks everyone

Last edited by NateJ11; 06-21-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First find someone that can polish and wax it properly (if you can't do it yourself).

Then lose the tube steps and tool box.

Repaint the honey comb grill black.

New black lightening headlights (from Ebay - do a search here to find the right ones).

Skip the lift and turn up the torsion bars in the front to level it. Keep the FX4 wheels because they look awesome IMO.

Why spend a bunch of money you clearly don't have?

Old 06-22-2016, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by grizzstang
First find someone that can polish and wax it properly (if you can't do it yourself).

Then lose the tube steps and tool box.

Repaint the honey comb grill black.

New black lightening headlights (from Ebay - do a search here to find the right ones).

Skip the lift and turn up the torsion bars in the front to level it. Keep the FX4 wheels because they look awesome IMO.

Why spend a bunch of money you clearly don't have?
Thank you for the help. What are black light night lights? Also what would you think about sanding the rims and plasty dipping them black?

Old 06-22-2016, 04:18 PM
Lightning Headlights. Same style as the Ford Lightning Trucks but black. Look like this.

If you like the black out look go for it lots of people have done it. I would prefer paint to Plastidip but that is your call.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:48 PM
Lightning Headlights. Same style as the Ford Lightning Trucks but black. Look like this.

If you like the black out look go for it lots of people have done it. I would prefer paint to Plastidip but that is your call.

Does this look like them?

Old 06-23-2016, 09:22 AM
Close but no. You have to be careful with what headlights you get. Many of the cheaper aftermarket ones leak and are garbage. I bought mine off of the reviews I read on this website by other members who had them. They have been on the truck for a couple of years now and with no issues. Do a search on this site for headlights. There are many options that are tried and true, you may find something you like more.

Last edited by grizzstang; 06-23-2016 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:12 PM
Close but no. You have to be careful with what headlights you get. Many of the cheaper aftermarket ones leak and are garbage. I bought mine off of the reviews I read on this website by other members who had them. They have been on the truck for a couple of years now and with no issues. Do a search on this site for headlights. There are many options that are tried on true and you may find something you like more.
Okay think you so much hopefull they won't be to expensive. Did you get tail lights and brake light too?

Old 06-23-2016, 03:35 PM
I still have the stock tails and 3rd brake light. I cleaned them up with the power polisher and kept them.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:46 PM
I still have the stock tails and 3rd brake light. I cleaned them up with the power polisher and kept them.
I'm having trouble finding it. Been looking on here and struggling. Is it to much to ask if you could shoot me a link

Old 06-23-2016, 09:09 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
That's a nice looking truck. You need those steps and they are high quality. They hold up well.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:27 PM
J_P
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Pin striping is a great way to add an improved look.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You don't need to do/spend a ton to make your truck look a bit more unique and "better." As noted, you can crank the torsion bars to level up the front (there are several threads on the subject). If you do, just be sure to get an alignment afterward.

A bit bigger tire when the time comes to replace them will give a beefier appearance. I have 285/70-17's on my '99. BFG A/T KO2' s or Wrangler DuraTrac's are both pretty aggressive without being too noisy on the road. I second keeping the FX4 wheels.

The black "Lightning" headlights are nice, and there's also a blacked-out set (Depot brand if I recall correctly) that has a projector high beam. Either option gives the truck an updated look. Coupling those with a *very light* tint on the tail lights and third brake light can really look good on a dark truck, especially with your window tint. If you want, you can go for a completely blacked-out look by dipping the chrome bumpers and emblems.

Some guys like a bull bar with some off-road lights... I'm on the fence about that.

I also second getting rid of the tool box unless you'll put it to good use. If you do, a bed cover can add to the look.

Little by little, and step by step. Take your time, and don't blow all your cash on appearance mods up front. Save some up for maintenance and repairs, as well. A nice-looking truck is great, but not if it sits broken in the driveway because you can't afford to fix it.

Andy

Last edited by OhioLariat; 06-24-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by OhioLariat
You don't need to do/spend a ton to make your truck look a bit more unique and "better." As noted, you can crank the torsion bars to level up the front (there are several threads on the subject). If you do, just be sure to get an alignment afterward.

A bit bigger tire when the time comes to replace them will give a beefier appearance. I have 285/70-17's on my '99. BFG A/T KO2' s or Wrangler DuraTrac's are both pretty aggressive without being too noisy on the road. I second keeping the FX4 wheels.

The black "Lightning" headlights are nice, and there's also a blacked-out set (Depot brand if I recall correctly) that has a projector high beam. Either option gives the truck an updated look. Coupling those with a *very light* tint on the tail lights and third brake light can really look good on a dark truck, especially with your window tint. If you want, you can go for a completely blacked-out look by dipping the chrome bumpers and emblems.

Some guys like a bull bar with some off-road lights... I'm on the fence about that.

I also second getting rid of the tool box unless you'll put it to good use. If you do, a bed cover can add to the look.

Little by little, and step by step. Take your time, and don't blow all your cash on appearance mods up front. Save some up for maintenance and repairs, as well. A nice-looking truck is great, but not if it sits broken in the driveway because you can't afford to fix it.

Andy
Thank you for the comments. I like the bull bar idea. I don't like the tool box much, but it made it look slightly better than stock (and it Was free). I have a hard top taoue cover but I don't really like it much. I'm thinking about selling the tool box and hard top cover and getting a flatter hard top or a soft top + a bull bar of there is access money. Now I'm just trying to find decent head lights to get but I'm having trouble finding ones with sevens reviews. Lots of leaking and fogging

Old 06-24-2016, 11:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NateJ11
I'm just trying to find decent head lights to get but I'm having trouble finding ones with sevens reviews. Lots of leaking and fogging
Take a look at these two:

Ford F-150 / Lightning SVT Harley Black OE Style Replacement Headlights Headlamps 4pc Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J5OG9K2

Depo 330-1119PXASC2 Headlight Projector with Park Lamp and Black Bezel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005XROZVA

But then, of course, you'll need fog lights to match.

Depo 330-2016PXAS Fog Lamp Assembly https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YNGWV6

Andy

Old 06-24-2016, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by OhioLariat
Take a look at these two:

Ford F-150 / Lightning SVT Harley Black OE Style Replacement Headlights Headlamps 4pc Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J5OG9K2

Depo 330-1119PXASC2 Headlight Projector with Park Lamp and Black Bezel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005XROZVA

But then, of course, you'll need fog lights to match.

Depo 330-2016PXAS Fog Lamp Assembly https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YNGWV6

Andy
I really like the first ones. I like the blacked/smoked headlights! I like the fog lights, are the brighter than the stock ones? Or the same?

Quick Reply: 2002 f150 4x4- (pics included) need help making it look better!