1997 - 2003 F-150

Extended Cab Rear Door Won't Open

Old 07-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended Cab Rear Door Won't Open

I have a 2003 Ext cab
The rear driver door won't open, I pull the handle and you dont feel the "click" that the linkage is actually connected (on both handles)

A buddy of mine has a 1998, and a coworker of his (previous Ford tech, now Jaguar/LR tech) said this was a common problem in our trucks. But the thing with his, was if you pop it hard it would come loose and open, mine will not budge at all...

Anyone know if the rear door panel has any weak or tricky clips?

Old 07-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Sounds like the rod fell off inside. Their not held on by much, - a little clip deal is all. Your probably going to have to pull the panel to fix. Maybe the rear seat as well, - if there isn't another access point somewhere.

Do a google search, - I believe there's a "how to" out there somewhere.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jbrew, I believe theres a how to on these boards as well. think the guy did it on a 99 and labeled it so.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Klitch
Jbrew, I believe theres a how to on these boards as well. think the guy did it on a 99 and labeled it so.
Yea, I can't recall where I seen one. I'll try search real quick, hang on

1997 F150 Third Door won't open
The third door on my '97 F150 won't open. Neither the side door latch or the inside latch will not open the door and it won't budge. Any ideas on fixing it? thanks.

The Fix -

Thanks for the ideas. When I took the door panel off and was able to see inside the door, the problem was that the cable for the top door latch had not actually broken but the rubber covering on the cable had come unseated from the latch assembly, therefore not allowing any resistance when the door handle was pulled. I used some plastic ties to keep the cable seated in the latch assembly and that did the trick!

Here's a good one with pictures -

https://www.f150online.com/forums/19...wont-open.html

Old 07-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Mann your good

Old 09-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Rear Door Won't Open

I was able to keep my cable in place with a few tie wraps. Door fixed. Luckily, my problem was at the bottom side of the cable.

Originally Posted by jbrew
Yea, I can't recall where I seen one. I'll try search real quick, hang on

1997 F150 Third Door won't open
The third door on my '97 F150 won't open. Neither the side door latch or the inside latch will not open the door and it won't budge. Any ideas on fixing it? thanks.

The Fix -

Thanks for the ideas. When I took the door panel off and was able to see inside the door, the problem was that the cable for the top door latch had not actually broken but the rubber covering on the cable had come unseated from the latch assembly, therefore not allowing any resistance when the door handle was pulled. I used some plastic ties to keep the cable seated in the latch assembly and that did the trick!

Here's a good one with pictures -

https://www.f150online.com/forums/19...wont-open.html

Old 09-05-2010, 08:19 PM
Using plastic wire ties and electrical tape to secure the cable to the latching mechanism worked temporarily, twice. (First time lasted a few months, the second time a few weeks) If you do this and it breaks, it is some work to get the old wire ties out though.

I've been unable to get the part number for the cable to order an actual replacement, I've been considering just unlatching the top portion of the cable so only the bottom latch is active until I can get a proper replacement.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:57 PM
third door stuck

I went a bought a pack of tubeless tire valves. I drilled out the metal center, then towards the bottom where it indents for the rim for the tire I cut a groove on each side so the it could slide onto the bracket in the door mechanism and upper door latch. The valve for the top latch, I trimmed the end so it was a little over 1/8 inch thick. I slid that on first and cramed the end I trimmed into the latch groove. After I got that one on I did the same thing with the other valve and slid it onto the cable and shoved it on the bracket. After a little adjusting and fidling with it, it works.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:31 PM
My 99 F150 4X4 driver side back door started "not opening the other day. The bottom latch works with either handle but the top latch is the one that's stuck. I'm just hoping I can get to it without too much trouble. After I closed it (the last time it worked) I heard something very small rattle around inside the door, guessing something came loose. I know there's a cable going to the top latch. Hope I have time to troubleshoot it this weekend.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:58 PM
I've dealt with this issue before; It's actually pretty easy to fix.
To get it open:
-remove the door panel,
-remove the speaker,
-reach in a pull the top cable by hand.

There are a few ways to fix it, the easiest of which is to purchase a replacement latch assembly from the dealership.
If you don't want to spend the money, you can fix it with zip ties and flexible/semi-rigid plumbing parts from a hardware store.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:16 PM
Smile F-150 rear doors stuck

Mine is a 2002 F-150 club cab. About a year the driver side rear door stuck. Sunday, the passenger side rear door stuck. The TOP latches weren't working on both doors. I fixed them both in less than an hour and here's how.
1) Take the two phillips screws out of the window latch.
2) Pry off (snap off) the top door panel. Don't worry, you can't break the snap-in things on the back. Just take it easy.
3) Take of the bottom door panel.
4) Two phillips screws at the top, one 10mm hex nut, and one plastic rivet.
5) Wiggle the door panel off, same snap-ins, go easy and pry the panel off.
6) Fold the plastic sticky cover DOWN. (You don't need to take out the speaker yet).
7) Pull on the door handles (inside and out) and watch what happens in the center door assembly. On my truck, both upper cable grommets were broken at the metal grommet bracket. The cables are like bicycle brake cables: the wire moves inside the sheath. If the whole sheath is moving, the wire inside can't move.
8) Pull on the top cable while you pull the door handle to open and open the door. Tie down the top cable sheath to something with tie-wraps and make it be still.
9) Up top the door, push the latch thing forward until it clicks as it does when the door closes. Open the door handle and it will unlatch.
10) You might have to adjust your cable ties until you get the right tension.
Good Luck!
AA

Old 10-25-2013, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Nick53
Using plastic wire ties and electrical tape to secure the cable to the latching mechanism worked temporarily, twice. (First time lasted a few months, the second time a few weeks) If you do this and it breaks, it is some work to get the old wire ties out though.

I've been unable to get the part number for the cable to order an actual replacement, I've been considering just unlatching the top portion of the cable so only the bottom latch is active until I can get a proper replacement.
www.autopartscheaper.com is where I got the cable & latch assy, they seemed to have the best price and wouldn't ya know it, a day after I replaced it the other side did the same exact same thing, and of course now the price went up. It's not very hard to replace, probably took me an hour or so including removing & re-installing the panels. I think if it ever happens again I'll just completely remove the upper latch.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:45 AM
I think the bottom end is where most break (that's where both of mine failed) but when I took it out the upper end broke also so there is certainly a weakness there too.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:56 PM
It worked!

I wanted to thank everyone here for the advice. The panels came off easily and using zip ties fixed my problem.

I wasn't sure where to put them, at first, and wanted to share the pics after I figured it out. I hope it can help someone else.

https://www.f150online.com/g/album/5596097

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extended Cab Rear Door Won't Open