1997 - 2003 F-150

03 F150 4.6L No Power in Gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 F150 4.6L No Power in Gear

This is my first post here. Recently my son purcased a F150 from my brother with 96K miles. It had been setting up for 3 months and was missing when we bought it. We ran a couple of tanks of fuel system cleaner through it with no change. Last week he was driving home from work and it would not go over 45 MPH or 2500 RPM. I pulled these codes. P0405, P0171, P0175, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0306. P0307. I was looking thing over and found the two vacuum hoses going from the pipe connected to the EGR valve to the DPFE (?) sensor missing. I replaced both and went ahead and changed the fuel filter. It idles better but had absolutely not power while in gear. We removed the EGR valve and cleaned it. If you suck lightly on the vacuum port you can hear the diaphram move back and forth. WE checked the resistance in what Hanes calls the vacuum regulator valve and Advance calls a solenoid (part of the EGR system with a green and red vacuum line attached) and it read open so that was replaced. It idles much better with maybe a slight misfire but not power whatsever in gear. It will not back up the slight rise in my driveway and eventually dies.

When my son was driving home the last time he smelled exhaust in the cab with the windows rolled up and there we noticed a gas smell at the rear of the truck after we'd started it this morning. EVAP????

I've worked on a lot of cars but not Fords. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:43 PM
wrong thread sorry

Old 01-02-2010, 12:00 AM
I was also wondering if the catalytic converter(s) could be clogged. I've never heard of one clogging so fast but with the vacuum hoses from the EGR tube missing I wonder if raw gas was getting into the cats.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:17 AM
I've thought it over and I don't think it's the cats. When in park the motor easily revs to over 2000 rpm so it does not seem like there is a restriction in the exhaust system. Is there something that happens when you shift into Drive or Reverse that would make the computer do something that would cause the engine to die?

I'm starting to think the OBD codes are related to the missing vacuum lines and this no power issue is something else. Hopefully not the transmission.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:47 PM
We changed the plugs, battery terminals, grounds, and I cleaned the MAF sensors since I had the air filter plenum off. The truck will run somewhat, it made it out of the driveway and on a short test run one of the vacuum hoses that runs from the EGR pipe over to the DPFE sensor blew off. There are two and both were missing when we started this job.

We put the vacuum line back on and drove it again and it will not go over 20 mph when going uphill. I'm thinking now the catalytic converters on the drivers side may be plugged up and the back pressure blew the vacuum hose off.

There are 4 cats on the truck and it's a single exhaust. Is it safe to assume the cats need replaced? I live in Texas and this is no emission system check where I live. If the cats need changed can I take off the two on the drivers side and replace it with one? Would that cause a problem with the passenger side having two? Seems like there would be different back pressures. Not sure. I've read on this forum that some people clean out the second cat and only run with one.

I'd really appreciate any opinios anyone may have. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: 03 F150 4.6L No Power in Gear