1997 - 2003 F-150

Trick My Truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to advanced autoparts to see about the dynomax, they had a sound board for the different type of dynomax exhaust they have. I think the dynomax thrush sounds good, they didn't have the bullets.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:14 PM
I got my tail lights! Only thing I think that annoys me, is seeing the reverse tail light bulbs.

Also, since I was home way early and my wife was going to work, she had me open up 2 Christmas gifts. Check it out!

The second gift was the EZ Down Tailgate, and turns out it's not compatiable with the flareside beds, so she's going to be crushed! Now I just gotta sell it.

Now, I do have a few questions about my tail lights and a few other things. I'll start with the tail lights, the right tail light doesn't look like it is in all the way, but I can't seem to make it go back any further, and the screw holes line up, so just curious if it's suppose to look like this.

Now, as for cleaning my truck, should I clean my engine compartment?

And should I clean under the plastic on bed?

What's the best way to spray paint all the plastic on the outside of my truck, and if I did, would I be able to remove the plastic around the back window to spray paint that as well?

*Just a image of what my external plastic looks like, pretty faded and turning white.

Also, I had a bedrug which I threw away, and now I'm trying to take off the velcro strips, whats the best way to take them off? I plan on getting a spray bed in the near future.

Last and final, what is this under my storage compartment by my steering wheel near the pedals?

Old 12-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for the delayed response. The muffler you posted is the bullet I'm talkig about. I got mine from summit for 40 bucks

The taillights look good. What was the first gift??

To get the Velcro off try using rubbing alcohol or windex or goo gone. If you've got the bed caps off to paint them you might ad well clean under there while they're off

That's you obdII port for reading your codes and stuff

Last edited by thejake1989; 12-22-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:30 PM
first gift was the new floor. alcohol and goo-gone or "oops" will get it off, but dont cake the oops or goo-gone on or it'll eff ur paint up in that area. x2 for the plug, mine has only been used once, for my CEL

Old 12-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Around the back window you cant remove just tape it all off thats what i did, the bed caps you can remove thats also what i did and the steps im not sure b/c i dont have a step side and as for the gap on the lights i would say its because they are aftermarket and aftermarket stuff never fits 100% looks good though are you painting the plastic ptm or black or what?

Old 12-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Alright, thanks Jake. I plan on getting the dynomax bullet, and just dumping the pipes, I don't want them to show. As for my tail lights, thanks. The headlights I want don't look as dark as the tail lights, so I'm afraid the wont match.

Headlights

As for the bed caps, I don't know what I need to do, can I just paint them bare? And just use Krylon Fusion?

What codes and stuff? Is that what a programmer hooks up to?

Powers, I plan on painting them black, just need to have knowledge of what I need to do first.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:44 PM
all i did was scuff the palstic with a green scotch scuff pad wipe it with mineral spirits or laquer thinner then prime it and paint it with krylon fusion i believe someone did a write up on it on the how to page as far as the obd2 thats for if your check engine light is on a mechanic can plug his computer will get a code and the code says what is going wrong

Old 12-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Yeah, I read it, he sanded it down with spray paint. So, get Krylon Primer and Krylon Fusion, sand paper, and that should be it. Should I get a spray paint gun (which I have no clue what the point of it, so you don't get your finger sprayed on?)

Old 12-22-2009, 09:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

no need for a gun just use the cans and youll be fine. for primer i recommend duplicolor adhesion promoter. its a clear primer and doesnt build up

Old 12-22-2009, 10:14 PM
Okay, I'm definitely afraid I'm going to mess my plastic up, so I'm going to have to practice on some.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:32 PM
just do light coats and you should be all set worst comes to worst you just let it dry and sand it and start over but if youve spray painted before and im sure you have i dont think you'll have any problems i did mine about a month ago and couldnt be happier

Old 12-23-2009, 02:03 AM
taillights look good man!
sweet mats!
and yes detail your whole truck!

look behind where the plastic steps are and youll see the tabs that you need to pop out to take the step off

Old 12-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Thanks Powers, I'll go out and buy what I need.

Thanks blackedout, I'll look for it.

Also, I don't have any place to spray paint, so I guess I'll get some cardboard and spray paint in the grass.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:12 AM
the sanding is the harder part, not the painting. if u want it absolutely smooth you will need about 3 to 4 grits of sand paper as well as some filler primer.

also Powers, what size HID do you have in your fogliights is it a H10 or a 9005? and did you sand & paint your valance yourself?

Last edited by fdimeroller; 12-23-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:53 PM
Well, I'll start sanding after Christmas, because I'm pretty sure my wife got me some spray paint and what not. As of today, I spent $37 and got my windshield tinted:

Quick Reply: Trick My Truck