Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F-150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

1997 - 2003 F-150 SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 12-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2003 Ford F150
Changing the Serpentine Belt

So, I'm going to attempt to change the belt myself. The truck has about 90K miles and it's starting to squeak about 65-70% of the time when I turn it on.

I went to the auto parts store and bought a MasterPro belt. I haven't done this before but it seems fairly straight forward. There are just a couple of things I would like to know going in.

1. Is there any kind of prep I should do to the new belt before I install it? Spray it with anything?

2. I see the little tension pulley down there. There are two bolts on it. I think I know which one to loosen but before I do I'd like to know to restore tension to the new belt once it's on. Will tightening the bolt up in itself put the required tension back on the pulley or do I need to get in there and somehow push the pulley back into place while I torque the bolt down.

3. Is there anything else I should know that I'm missing?

Thanks
Old 12-03-2009, 10:10 AM
2002 Ford F-150
My Garage

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F-150
five0merc five0merc
All you should need to do is put a breaker bar in the tensioner and move the actual tension pulley and slip the belt off. No need to loosen any bolts. If I am not mistaken. It's been a while since I changed mine.

Thanks Watson91 at screen-fx.net for sig

1997 Oxford White 4x4
2002 True Blue Lightning
Old 12-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2002 Ford F-150 5.4L
Yes, you do not loosen anything. You take the tension off the tensioner, remove the old belt, install the new belt, and release the tensioner. That is it! Do not put anything on the belt. Don't know much about the belt you got...Goodyear Gatorback's are pretty popular, dependable belts.

K&N FIPK/Amsoil Filter
Flowmaster 40 si/do Exhaust
305/70 16 GY MTR Kevlar
16X10 MB Motorsport wheels
4.10 Gears
Rancho 4" lift
Rancho 9000XL Pro Series Resi Shocks
FireStone Air Bags
Autometer Carbon Fiber Oil/Trans Temp Gauges
Carbon Fiber Interior (www.dash-kit.com)
Peterson Fluid Sys. Remote Oil Filter
FTVB
Troyer Performance Electric Fans
Underdrive Pulleys
Amsoil Fluids Throughout
Old 12-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Look at the side of the tensioner and you should see a square hole. Either a 1/2" or 3/8" (can't recall which one) drive breaker bar (or a long socket wrench) will snap right in there. Use the tool to move the tensioner so the belt goes slack. Remove belt. No need to remove any bolts.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:00 PM
2003 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2003 Ford F150 FX4
About the only thing I can add is wear long sleeves and mechanics gloves if you have them. There is almost no room between the fan shroud and the belt so getting your hands in there can be painful. I lost a lot of skin when I did mine.

While I have the belt off I always like to give everything (alternator, tensioner etc.) a spin with my hand to see if anything is on the way out.

Good luck.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor
1998 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 1998 Ford F-150
Raptor05121 Raptor05121
Send a message via AIM to Raptor05121 Send a message via MSN to Raptor05121 Send a message via Yahoo to Raptor05121
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzstang View Post
About the only thing I can add is wear long sleeves and mechanics gloves if you have them. There is almost no room between the fan shroud and the belt so getting your hands in there can be painful. I lost a lot of skin when I did mine.

While I have the belt off I always like to give everything (alternator, tensioner etc.) a spin with my hand to see if anything is on the way out.

Good luck.
efans FTW
Old 12-03-2009, 06:49 PM
2001 Ford F-150
My Garage

Vehicle: 2001 Ford F-150
Just did mine,

1/2" drive hole in the tensioner.

I used a breaker bar with a short piece of pipe for a little extra leverage.

Getting the new belt oriented was tricky from up top, I had better luck getting under the truck and getting the new belt looped correctly.

I used a Gates/Dayco belt - very pleased so far. Old belt was fair, put it in the toolbox that stays in the truck. Never now when you or another broke down F150 might need a spare...
Old 12-04-2009, 06:13 PM
2002 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2002 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to Layedout02
how much theses belts cost?

2002 F-150 2wd XLT Longbed, Belltech 3/4 drop.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F-150
30 bucks give or take....go to tousleyfordparts.com get a real fomoco one for 10 percent over cost...believe me you wont regret it. My father went through 3 different brands due to squeeling and drying out...flip the belt around and it'd go away for a few weeks..
2000 F150 ext cab/flareside Lariat, 5.4, auto, 4x4, 305 BFGs on 17x10 centerline wolfers, flowmaster 40, K&N, lund visor, truxedo tonneau, westin nerf bars, expedition console, avs bug visor, t bars maxed, extra leafs in rear, 20% tint, molded mudflaps, skyjacker shocks, STX grille/chrome trim ring
Old 12-04-2009, 07:35 PM
2002 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2002 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to Layedout02
Ok thats not bad my truck makes a loud squal when you start it up only for the first minute or so i dont think its the belt i think its the idler pulley can i just buy a new pulley, im gunna replace the belt why iam in there

2002 F-150 2wd XLT Longbed, Belltech 3/4 drop.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:22 AM
Garage is empty, add now

A Goodyear Gatorback is the best belt for these trucks. That's the standard fix for people who get belt squeal on WOT shifts.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks!

Thanks for all the help. I got the belt replaced and it was still making a racket... turned out to be the idler pulley. But I caught it in time, so nothing else needed to be replaced.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:27 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2002 Ford F150
This is the easiest way of doing I've seen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0DIl1f073s

Unfortunatly not for our trucks though...
Old 12-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2001 SuperCrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzstang View Post

Good luck.
ditto.. changing the belt is easy.. but u cut up your arms pretty good because of the fan..
Old 06-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Garage is empty, add now

First, thanks for all the helpful comments regarding changing a serpentine belt, it gave me confidence to do it myself. Here's what I can offer from my experience:

Overall, pretty easy. Just take some time to think about what you're going to do first.

* I used a 1/2" torque wrench on the tensioner (20" length)
* I uncoupled the air filter tubing, but it was probably unnecessary
* Taking off the old belt was easy by myself, just take the tension off the tensioner and pull the belt off the top pully (from the front of the truck, move your socket bar/torque wrench to the right (clockwise). Unwind the rest of the belt from the pulleys
* My last move in removing was to pull the belt through the gap that's just above the tensioner.
* As many people have said: just reverse the process. So, the first move was to squish the new belt and push the end through the gap above the tensioner (kinduv a Northeast to Southwest angle)
* Route it per the diagram on the truck, or the diagram on the package if it's there (it was on the gatorback package)
* I was able to route everything from the top of the engine compartment. I looped the belt around the pulleys by pushing and shifting the belt as needed. I did scratch up my forearms a bit, but no broken skin.
* Last, I needed to loop the belt on top of the top pulley. For this, I looped the OLD belt around my torque wrench and had my girlfriend pull the OLD belt and keep the tension on as she stood on the right side (driver side) of the truck. This let me work without worrying about the tensioner.
* To get the belt over the last pulley, I sort of pushed the belt at the pulley at about the 2pm position while rolling the pulley counter-clockwise. After a couple of attempts I was able to roll it on. No tools required.
* Checked that everything was aligned a couple of times and that was it.

Used a Gatorback belt on my 2000 F150 5.4L engine (with A/C). Picture attached.

BIG plus: no more squeakiness when the engine runs. The engine sounds VERY good!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1123229...eat=directlink

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:32 PM