1997 - 2003 F-150

How to Power My Trailer Winch?

Old 11-23-2009, 11:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to Power My Trailer Winch?

I have a '00 F150 flareside and a Big Tex 18' car trailer with a winch mounted to the front I can use to pull a car up onto the trailer. Can I power this winch with the 7 pin connector or do I need to run a separate wire from the battery for this? I saw this kit on Summitracing.com:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPW-1520
If this is the sort of kit I need can I get it cheaper anywhere else or pick up the connectors separately and put it together myself? Any help/advice/opinions would be appreciated.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:48 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I've seen it done but this is something I'd like to know also

Old 11-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Anybody?

Old 11-27-2009, 12:58 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If you have the $$ install an Optima yellow top and recharge it with the 7 pin connector. This way you can use the winch without the truck and then recharge it when needed. I don't think the 7 pin will handle the amps required to run the winch. How many amps does the winch draw at max load?
Here is a link to warn connectors.

http://www.amazon.com/Tuff-Stuff-WIN...=pd_sbs_auto_2

Last edited by JMC; 11-27-2009 at 12:59 PM. Reason: better link
Old 11-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the reply.

The winch is not going to be used regularly, more like if I break my car at the track and need to winch it up or if I'm moving a car that is not operable. I don't know what kind of amps the winch draws, its a Superwinch ATV2000 and I didn't see that info when I looked it up. It's apparently an older model.

I don't think I want to keep a battery on the trailer, though it may be an option if I can keep it charged from the 7 pin. How would I use the 7 pin connector to keep a trailer mounted battery charged?

I'd prefer to run the winch from my truck rather than a dedicated battery if possible. Anybody else?

Old 11-28-2009, 05:55 PM
JMC

If that is the case run some booster cables to the winch. Very portable and anyone can use your trailer by simply opening the hood and attaching the cables to the battery terminals. If you don't want them to use the winch leave the booster cables in your truck. $50.00 should buy tou a nice set that will run the length of your truck.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 12-01-2009, 01:45 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
To power from your battery via a seperate power lead, you must find out the current draw "under load".
This will determine the wire size and the fuse size.
You only need one lead from the battery back to the rear and an equal size good ground from the frame to the winch.
Plan on wire to handle as little as 30 amps and as much as 50 amps depending on the wench and the load.
This means as large as #4 wire for 50 amps.
A cheap winch for 2000 lbs will draw as much as 30 amps and use #10 wire as a min size for the distance.
I would not advise the use of your trailer connector for this application.
The wire size is not near large enough, only intended to power lights and electric brakes.
Call the company to get the load info.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:20 AM
JMC

The Superwinch ATV 2000 can draw up to 140 amps. You will melt the little wire on the 7 pin connector. Actually you won't, instead the fuse will blow.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 12-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did just what you are asking about, I ran #2 battery cable from the batt. to the rear & front of the truck and used these connectors:

http://www.windsun.com/Hardware/AndersonSB.htm

I bought mine from NAPA.

I ended up using them for more than just my winch, I also put the same connector on a set of jumper cables, Works out great!

NAPA also sells a rubber cover to keep the weather out of the inside of the connector

Old 12-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I know the wiring (hot & neutral) coming out of the winch is 10g on the trailer. I'll see if I can verify the amp draw from Superwinch, 140 amps seems ridiculously high, but better safe than sorry.

79pacecar, do you have any pics of the connectors and how you mounted them?

Thanks again for all the help guys.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Chris91LX
I'll see if I can verify the amp draw from Superwinch, 140 amps seems ridiculously high, but better safe than sorry.
I didn't think I would need 140 amp draw either, But I figured the connectors would handle 175 amp & I had some #2 cable so like you say better safe than sorry

Originally Posted by Chris91LX
79pacecar, do you have any pics of the connectors and how you mounted them?

Thanks again for all the help guys.
I can take some pics for you later today, But in the back I just mounted it right to the bottom of the trailer hitch about 3" to the right of the receiver.

I just looked at you summit link, That is basically what I did, I just didn't buy it in kit form.. I'll bet I had $55.00 bucks in it by the time I was all done though. That being said I wasn't limited to what was in the kit...

Last edited by 79pacecar; 12-01-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:29 PM
My father-in-law did the same thing (winch on front of a car hauler) and he mounted the winch and a battery inside a toolbox on front of the trailer. The nice part about that is that the winch can be used no matter what tow vehicle is being used. If you rig up your truck, you'll only be able to use the winch when you're pulling the trailer with your own truck.

Were it me, I'd either mount a battery on the trailer or rig up a set of long jumper cables and run 'em to the truck battery on the few occasions when you need to use the winch. Gives the trailer more flexibility.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by 79pacecar
I can take some pics for you later today, But in the back I just mounted it right to the bottom of the trailer hitch about 3" to the right of the receiver.
If you can take some pics that would be great.

Originally Posted by TX Chris
My father-in-law did the same thing (winch on front of a car hauler) and he mounted the winch and a battery inside a toolbox on front of the trailer. The nice part about that is that the winch can be used no matter what tow vehicle is being used. If you rig up your truck, you'll only be able to use the winch when you're pulling the trailer with your own truck.
That is the other option I'm considering, though I think it would end up being more expensive. The trailer is currently stored in the open and a trailer mounted battery could be a thief magnet as well. However, if I can use the 7 pin to keep the battery charged as was suggested earlier, this could be my best bet. Anybody know how to use the 7 pin to charge a trailer mounted battery?

Old 12-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
we made a box to hold a car battery, locking of course, with the posts sticking out and just touched the cables on the battery when we needed to winch something up on the trailer, redneck i know! but i love my family

Old 12-02-2009, 09:52 AM
I had to work late last night & it was dark out by the time I got out of work so I had to wait until this morning to get the pics...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to Power My Trailer Winch?