1997 - 2003 F-150

questions about installing sunroof repair kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 01:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
questions about installing sunroof repair kit

My truck (2003 ford f150) was broken into via the sunroof, the glass was not broken but the lift arms and cam brackets and trough guide brackets were broken. Insurance has a high deductible so that left me trying to do the repair.
I bought a repair kit from "sunroof Doctor" with installation instructions. These instructions are obviously for someone very familiar with sunroof nomenclature. I am not. I have the headliner out and the glass panel is removed. so my next step is to take the assembly out and make the repairs.

So I have a couple of question. if you look at the kit (the repair kit includes replacement sunroof lift arms, cam brackets and trough guide brackets) at http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/
for a 2003 ford f150 you will see two parts with a long rod with a bend on the end. I cannot figure out where this long rod goes, where does the 90 degree end go?
any detailed explanation would be greatly appreciated. photos would be great!
After I complete the the repairs (with your help) on the bench and i put the assembly back in the pickup, can I put the glass in after I put the assembly back in the truck or does it have to go in with the assembly from the inside.
Is there any where on the forum or anywhere else that has a video or good photos of the all the parts in place or something to help me with this repair job. This is my first attempt at repairing a sun roof. just need a little help.
a clearer explanation of the adjustments would be helpful as well.

my email is
zimmerman@citlink.net
if you want to send photos or anything to help me finish this repair.

thanks in advance

Jerry

Old 11-03-2009, 08:28 AM
anyone able to answer my questions?

Jerry

Old 11-03-2009, 10:23 AM
The Best of luck to you....My ASC sunroof is broke & I am finding it impossible to get the parts to fix it myself, or any help so far..I'm not going to pay the Quoted repair of $390.00 on a 11 year old truck!

Old 11-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by jdzimme
I cannot figure out where this long rod goes, where does the 90 degree end go?
Jerry, it looks like the long rod would have something to do with when the glass is retracted open. Also, from my experience with other vehicles, the glass would be installed as an assembly into the roof

Old 11-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
another thought...

I think it's a safe assumption to assume that all the 97-03 factory sunroofs are the same.

I dealt with more aftermarket roofs than factory roofs, so if I'm wrong someone please chime in. Going with this thought, if you have such a wide range of donors (97-03), why not pull a whole unit out of a junkyard and replace the entire unit. We did this every once in awhile at my last job. I think we did a Honda Accord job and got the roof used for about $100. Plug and Play. Now I'm assuming that this is a factory roof. If it's not, then good luck finding parts for an aftermarket unit. With that situation, the only thing that you can do is to put a bigger roof in.

Good luck with this, and keep us updated.

Oh, and I see you're new here, welcome to the forum!

Remember everybody loves pictures!

Old 11-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Jerry.... Just as I suspected. When I opened up my top I saw exactly what you need. Here are pics of the passenger side :

Hope this helps.
David

Old 11-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Red02FX4
Jerry.... Just as I suspected. When I opened up my top I saw exactly what you need. Here are pics of the passenger side :

Hope this helps.
David

What a lifesaver. a picture is worth a thousand words. That is exactly the shot I needed. Unfortunately, now I have no excuses I have to go out in the shop and fix it.

Thank you so much.

yes it is a stock sunroof/moonroof (what is the difference) and finding a whole unit was not possible locally and shipping the unit here became a cost issue. so with the kit and the help from you folks I am able to do the repairs for about $150.00.

I will take photos and let you know the trials and tribulations, and when I finish.

thanks again and off to the shop I go, well maybe a beer to relax before I try this stressful repair

Jerry

Last edited by jdzimme; 11-03-2009 at 04:43 PM. Reason: take out icons
Old 11-03-2009, 05:15 PM
shouldn't be too hard a project. If ya need more pics, just say the word
TEAMWORK !!

Last edited by Red02FX4; 11-03-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by jdzimme
yes it is a stock sunroof/moonroof (what is the difference)
I believe.... correct me if I'm wrong.... a sunroof has transparent glass while a moonroof is solid and top painted with roof

Old 11-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Any luck with end caps?? ..

Old 11-09-2009, 10:17 AM
yes, I got the end caps from the Sunroof Doctor.
does anyone know what glue is used on the trim around the hole for the sunroof? I know it is real sticky but does not harden so the trim comes off reasonably easy and without having to scrape off old glue.

thanks

Jerry

Quick Reply: questions about installing sunroof repair kit