1997 - 2003 F-150

Ford 6 CD double din radio install

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford 6 CD double din radio install

Well i finally took the time to do the swap, mainly because i was fed up with having a radio only. This was done in a 2000 f150 Scab. This will show you how to install a ford 6cd double din radio into a 97-03 f150. I bought mine off ebay for $50 from a 2005 escape. First, disconnect the battery and remove the factory radio with the ford removal tool. you can find these at Kragen, etc. I found that if you pop out the radio bezel, you can get it out much faster. I just grabbed the bottom left corner of the right vent and gently pulled out. Once you get it out, you will have 1 or the other radio connectors. Mine was the rectangle and square shaped ones, you can also have a flat rectangle plug. Next, you will need an adapter to plug into the rectangle plug -($10) (if you don't want to destroy your factory harness) This plug takes all the pins and converts them into normal radio colors. (I.E. 12v-yellow, ignition-red, ground black, etc.) It it much more simple this way and you will not need a wiring diagram for the factory harness.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:35 PM
You will need the factory harness plug for the 6 cd radio ( I found mine at a local wrecking yard- $10) Next, you will need a wiring diagram for the 6 CD harness. I found mine here that i printed out and used. You ONLY need the one plug. The other 2 plugs are for factory DVD and subs. The wires on the adapter harness were individually marked for where they go. Next, very carefully connect all wires to where they go. When done, check that all functions work. I even got my dimmer to work when i turn the headlights on. Next, you will need to swap the rubber support onto the new one. This just screws on. This supports the back of the radio. Next, you will have to trim the plastic top support because it angles down, and prevents the TRUE double din radio to slide in. I used a dremel with a drill bit. Cut ONLY enough to clear the new radio. Trim down and around the top of the metal support.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:35 PM
After the support is trimmed, protect all wires with electrical tape and slide the new radio in. Make sure the wires will not be pinched. Re-install the radio bezel.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Looks great! I love the look of factory radios. The writeup looks good as well.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good bout like it came from the factory like that

Quick Reply: Ford 6 CD double din radio install