1997 - 2003 F-150

SES Light. Error Codes and only 7 Cylinders

Old 07-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SES Light. Error Codes and only 7 Cylinders

Hi,

My truck lost a cylinder on Saturday. Spent yesterday trying to fix it. No luck.

2003 Triton V8 5.4 160,000km's. All new plugs at 100,000km's

3 codes are stored. Cleared them down and waited for the SES light to come back on - it did with the following 3 codes: P0353, B2001, P0020.

P0353 Ignition coil number 3 primary circuit fail: - I have replaced coil 3 and its associated spark plug. Cleared down the codes, and again the SES light comes on with the same 3 codes. I have also swapped over the new coil on cylinder 3 with the coil on cylinder 1, just in case I had bought a defective new coil.

B2001 : Any ideas anyone?

P0020 : Intake camshaft position actuator circuit open (bank 2). Is this something 'easily' fixable or should this go the shop??

Putting a screwdriver against the fuel injector, and my ear to the screwdriver I can hear no clicking. I have swapped around a fuel injector to see if the problem goes with the injector but the problem still exists on the same cylinder (3).

I even tried disconnecting the battery for just over 30mins in case the PCM needed a reboot. Cleared the codes down first before disconnecting the negative terminal. Still missing a cylinder and SES light came back with the same 3 codes.

Any help on this would be most gratefully received.

Many thanks

Larry

Old 07-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
B2001- You sure???? It isn't B1201 ?

B2001 is a Mazda code = Pedal Position Rearward Switch Circuit Short To Ground.

B1201 Is a Ford code = Fuel Sender Circuit Failure.

Which plugs did you install? Test the harness, make sure you have power to the coil.

P0020: Possible causes -

Solenoid open circuit.
Open in the wiring from the circuit driver to the solenoid.
Defective circuit driver.
No VPWR at the solenoid

Sounds like you have wiring problems, like the harness was scuffed or damaged somewhere.

Last edited by jbrew; 07-13-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi,

Many thanks for the reply.

I'm 'fairly' sure about the B2001 code. It kept coming back after a number of resets. I am away from the truck and will not be able to recheck until tonight. B1201 makes more sense (I think?).

I put a champion spark plug in, the only type I could get at the time.

On the P0020 code, can you tell me what a "Intake camshaft position actuator" is and where I would find it please. I have looked through a Haynes manual and cannot find anything about it.

To check power to the coil; Can I check it with a voltmeter? Is it a DC voltage?

Once again, many thanks for your reply,

Larry

Old 07-13-2009, 05:15 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
What are you reading these codes with?

Old 07-14-2009, 01:11 AM
Hi,

Its an OBD-II reader my neighbour lent me: Scan Gauge,

Thanks

Larry

Old 07-14-2009, 06:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dtc lookup Say's;

P1201, is manufacturer fuel air metering.
I'm not quite sure what that means, but that is the message displayed.

P2001= NOx Bank2 Trap Efficiency Below Threshold.
I don't know what that means either.

P0020=Camshaft position actuator A-bank 2 circuit malfunction.

P0353=Ignition coil C Primary/ secondary Circuit Malfunction.

I have had to replace a camshaft actuator on a 98 with in a year ago, but it didn't feel like a solid miss, if memory serves me right. But it may make sense, that it could cause a coil error, because the cam position sensor tells the coils, when to fire. A 1201, could be the raw unburned fuel from that cylinder causing a rich reading at the 02.

I've never had quite that combination, but I thought I would tell you from the dtc lookup software exactly what it said.
I would also look for wiring work that has been done by rodents. They love the taste of our wires.

You've switched the coil , and no help. I would read up on the cam position sensor and actuator, and check for damaged wires.

Post up your findings please.

Last edited by Tumba; 07-14-2009 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tumba
My dtc lookup Say's;

P1201, is manufacturer fuel air metering.
I'm not quite sure what that means, but that is the message displayed.

P2001= NOx Bank2 Trap Efficiency Below Threshold.
I don't know what that means either.

P0020=Camshaft position actuator A-bank 2 circuit malfunction.

P0353=Ignition coil C Primary/ secondary Circuit Malfunction.

I have had to replace a camshaft actuator on a 98 with in a year ago, but it didn't feel like a solid miss, if memory serves me right. But it may make sense, that it could cause a coil error, because the cam position sensor tells the coils, when to fire. A 1201, could be the raw unburned fuel from that cylinder causing a rich reading at the 02.

I've never had quite that combination, but I thought I would tell you from the dtc lookup software exactly what it said.
I would also look for wiring work that has been done by rodents. They love the taste of our wires.

You've switched the coil , and no help. I would read up on the cam position sensor and actuator, and check for damaged wires.

He has "B" codes Tumba , just one "P" code

Old 07-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Here is what I get from Equus online. This is the scantool I use.

P0353
http://www.equus.com/support/obd2_definitions.php

B2001
(as you can see, it is a generic code or Mazda code)

P0020

Old 07-14-2009, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tumba

Where's the camshaft actuator at ? I've never had to mess with that before..Or maybe I have and just don't know it

Unless your referring to the CPS on the drivers side front of the engine.??

Old 07-21-2009, 11:34 AM
The answer

Hi,

I had to put into the shop as it was beyond my abilities.

They found 4 broken wires in the cable harness from the PCM up near the firewall. I do not know if they were open circuit, or the insulation had been worn through causing shorts.

Harness has been fixed and all is well again.

Thanks to everyone who replied and tried to help me, much appreciated.

Larry

Old 07-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jbrew
Where's the camshaft actuator at ? I've never had to mess with that before..Or maybe I have and just don't know it

Unless your referring to the CPS on the drivers side front of the engine.??
Excuse me. It was the CPS, I had to replace and actuator on the Wife's Envoy. I've had so much crap break lately, it all runs together. Last week was an A/C at the house, now it's the water heater. It seems like the tougher the economy gets, the more chit I have that breaks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SES Light. Error Codes and only 7 Cylinders