1997 - 2003 F-150

Our project to save $1,500

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our project to save $1,500

Hey,

I thought I'd tell you about our project. I have owned a total of 13 ford trucks in my life but have never been mechanical. I have lifted a few, but have not done much more than that.

My wife has a 1999 F-150 and the A/C didn't work. It blew hot air. She thought she'd go get her A/C recharged last week as it's been almost 100 degrees for the past month and we have two small children. She found out something awful was wrong and it would be outrageous to fix, cost-wise.

She read, watched videos, and learned exactly what was wrong. We decided on the cheap fix.

Has anyone guessed the problem yet? Blend door! It's an old truck and she isn't making payments, so we decided to do it the "ghetto" way.

She got me to watch the videos and we set out tonight to fix this A/C. It's mainly for our daughters who ride in it daily and almost become physically sick because of the heat.

We are going in through behind the glovebox. We got that part out and tomorrow we start on the actual box that contains our broken blend door.

I will add some pictures and let you know how we did it. It was easy to get the trim off, take out the electrical component, and unscrew the blend door actuator. It probably took 30 minutes total.

The last thing we can't find is how to take out the blend door and replace the new one. Every article and video becomes fuzzy at this point, so this will be 100% blind.

That's the part we will end up we are screwed and totally obliterated the truck. We can hide the damage so no big deal.

I will try and add some pictures of what we've done.

Quick Reply: Our project to save $1,500