Hook up bass tube (bazooka) to factory radio?

Old 01-16-2006, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hook up bass tube (bazooka) to factory radio?

Do our stock radios have the inputs to install a bass tube (bazooka)? I have an 01 supercrew w/ AM/FM-CD player, and just bought a bass tube online with amp and wiring included, but havent seen the backs of our stock radios to know if it will work.

Also I havent looked at my haynes book yet, any tips on getting the radio out?

Old 01-16-2006, 08:22 PM
I have recently install a Bazooka powered sub in an 05 regular cab and hooked it up to the factry HU. The Bazooka powered subs can be hooked up to the factory speaker wires and also have rca jacks if you have a line out converter. You can go to Bazooka's website and look at the installation and hook-up in the PDF manuals.

Old 01-16-2006, 08:24 PM
No there is no input in the stock radio. You will need to buy a head unit that has pre outs, or get a loc (line out coverter). To get the radio out, yank that cover (fits over the head unit, and A/C controls) it will come off with a tug, then I think you will have to coat hanger or buy the installers tool, to stick into those square openings and release the head unit from the bracket. If i were you i would just replace the stock head unit with a cheap alpine/pioneer and that will also give you some options to adjust your sub/speakers.

Old 01-16-2006, 08:29 PM
just tie it in with the speaker wire inputs

Old 01-18-2006, 05:42 PM

So going throught the speakers is the easiest way, ive never done that, how much work is involved? Do I need any other equipment to do that? and will i run into any problems doing that, power, distortion or something?

Old 01-18-2006, 06:02 PM

or is the head unit that has pre outs, or a loc (line out coverter) easier? When you say head unit, is that a whole new radio/cdplayer or a just something to add on to it? sorry to be so slow about this, ive hooked up my old car, built my own bandpass box with two mtx 12in, cap and amp and wired the car but it hooked straight into the back of the cdplayer.

Old 01-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Ya a new head unit, would replace the stock cd player, thats the route I would go, but its up to you.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:22 PM

I would prefer not to do that, rather keep my stock cdplayer. So my only other option is a converter or hooking up to the speakers right? Can anyone explain these methods in more detail for me? O yea its not an actual "Bazooka" made tube, someone else, dont know off hand, got it from jcwhitney.
If all else fails i will get a new unit, but i hope not.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by ruffn-it
I would prefer not to do that, rather keep my stock cdplayer. So my only other option is a converter or hooking up to the speakers right? Can anyone explain these methods in more detail for me? O yea its not an actual "Bazooka" made tube, someone else, dont know off hand, got it from jcwhitney.
If all else fails i will get a new unit, but i hope not.
The LOC is very easy. Just pick one up from BestBuy or any stereo store. It gives you directions. All need to do it splice that into the rear speaker wires on the factory harness, and you are set. Very easy to do..

Old 01-20-2006, 03:29 PM

Wont that make the sub play the highs and the lows? Which would sound pretty bad and damage the sub quicker? Or am i mistaken?

What would be the best way to run the wires from the door to the woofer, without showing the wire? Under the carpet of course, but what about from the door to the carpet, anybody done that?

Last edited by ruffn-it; 01-20-2006 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:55 PM
Wont that make the sub play the highs and the lows? Which would sound pretty bad and damage the sub quicker? Or am i mistaken?

What would be the best way to run the wires from the door to the woofer, without showing the wire? Under the carpet of course, but what about from the door to the carpet, anybody done that?
I am not an expert, but I think that is what the converter does, it seperates the two. Plus, the converter has adjusters on it as well. Also, you can use the crossover on the amp to cut any high's as well. This is what I have done this to my stereo and it sounds great. I did not use a Bass tube. I went with a MTX Thunderform, with sub an a seperate amp. I think you better sound with this than a bass tube.

Old 01-20-2006, 06:19 PM

Yea, they do. My old system had two 12in mtx's with a 750 watt amp and cap, and sounded great. I just wanted a little something to add a lil thump to my truck, and I sold my old system after I got the truck, thought about putting it in the bed (i have a fiberglass tonneau) but I was told that would be a bad idea.

I did some searching and yea, the loc does separate the highs from the lows. Now I just got to do all the wiring. a real PITA.

Thanks for everyones help, I'm sure i'l be back with a few more questions while actually installing it.

Old 01-21-2006, 08:32 AM
Yea, they do. My old system had two 12in mtx's with a 750 watt amp and cap, and sounded great. I just wanted a little something to add a lil thump to my truck, and I sold my old system after I got the truck, thought about putting it in the bed (i have a fiberglass tonneau) but I was told that would be a bad idea.

I did some searching and yea, the loc does separate the highs from the lows. Now I just got to do all the wiring. a real PITA.

Thanks for everyones help, I'm sure i'l be back with a few more questions while actually installing it.
It is not to bad. On my 2003 Supercrew. The rear speakers were the grey & white wires. Not sure if it changed or not. Search the web, you can get the wiring diagrams.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hook up bass tube (bazooka) to factory radio?