Clutch Slave Cylinder Replacement

Old 12-19-2005, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Slave Cylinder Replacement

Hello,

Quick question, has anyone ever tried to replace the slave cylinder on a 98 F150 without yanking the tranny? I noticed an inspection hole in the bell housing that looks like it could possibly be large enough to replace the cylinder, and I'm curious as to why they would make an inspection hole that large. I'm pretty sure that's the only part that I need to replace as the clutch works fine it just leaks brake fluid down the bottom of the bell housing and needs to be refilled every once in a while.

Thanks,

Mark Schumacher

Old 12-21-2005, 09:49 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Sorry but there is no way to remove the slave without pulling the tranny, unless you wish to remove the engine. The slave cylinder is a donut and it slides onto the transmission input shaft and it is bolted in place.

JMC

Old 12-21-2005, 10:21 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Uhhh no, the inspection plug is only for inspecting. Not to bad of a job to pull the tranny, but there is just a lot of other crap you have to take off on these 97+ trucks if you have a 4x4.

Welcome to the fourm as well, definatly the place to be for anything you want to know about your truck. Fill out your profile when you get a chance so we know the specs on your truck, and also to find out one of us could be right across town to help ya out!

Adrianspeeder

Old 12-23-2005, 08:58 AM
Thanks Guys, I ended up ordering the part and now understand that this certainly will not be possible. It's funny I called 3 different Ford dealerships and got 3 quotes ranging from 600 to 900 dollars and 2 different answers on whether or not the tranny needs to be pulled. I bled it out a couple times and it certainly was full of rust and junk, and it's working at the moment but is still leaking. I am going to take a weekend soon and perform the work myself. I'll probably put new clutch components in while I'm at it.

Old 12-23-2005, 09:35 AM
Cool. 4x4 or two wheel drive? Feel free to post up any questions you have!

Adrianspeeder

Old 01-03-2006, 08:44 AM
It's a 4X4, and I'm still nursing it along with the slave cylinder leaking. It just hasn't been a good time for me to do the work. It actually works fine as long as I warm the truck up before go anywhere and I have to pump the clutch up by pushing the pedal in about 10 times. I have been researching clutch components and I think Center Force is a good clutch, any thoughts?

Old 01-03-2006, 11:16 AM
4x4? Your labor bill just went up off the chart...

I have a centerforce I clutch in my 92, and will be doing the same for the '97. As soon as I feel like rippin out all the crap to even get to the tranny...

Adrianspeeder

Old 01-06-2006, 05:25 PM
Another Clutch Slave Cylinder Question

Just under a year ago, I had the engine of my 97 F150 4X4 rebuilt. They also replaced the clutch.

Months afterwards, I started having difficulty shifting gears. It would get worse some days and bad the others. At times the good shifting would last for weeks. It was pretty much hit and miss.

Over the course of time I would notice oily substances on my driveway. I looked on the tranny and noticed a drop forming there. I tightened up some of the bolts on it, wiped it up, and didn't think much about it. This was during mid summer.

Last night I left my truck in our driveway which is slanted. The temps got down pretty low. I barely got to work. I could barely shift from 1st to 2nd and vice versa. The clutch range of motion to the floor was limited but would always return to about the proper height.

At lunch everything came together: low range of motion of the clutch pedal, oily droppings on the driveway, difficulty shifting.

I figured I had a clutch hydraulic leak somewhere. So on the way home from work I had to pump the clutch several times to get any play. At home, I checked the clutch master cylinder and it is L O W!

I'll add some brake fluid later but I came to this board to see if anyone else had this problem.

Now my question is based off what I read: Is it the "donut" slave cylinder that is effed up? If so, what is the chance the garage that rebuilt my engine and clutch are the culprits? It's still under warranty.

Otherwise, should I change out the clutch master cylinder and see what happens next?

Old 01-06-2006, 07:22 PM
I would look at the paperwork from the mechanic. If they replaced the slave, than it should be under warranty. If not, you may be on your own. In reality, the slave should always be replaced on these trucks when doing a clutch job. It is cheap insurance. Good luck!!!

Old 01-07-2006, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by fordninja
I would look at the paperwork from the mechanic. If they replaced the slave, than it should be under warranty. If not, you may be on your own. In reality, the slave should always be replaced on these trucks when doing a clutch job. It is cheap insurance. Good luck!!!
great! So it does sound like the slave cylinder?

I looked at the paper work and it doesn't mention that part.

After the rebuild he threw everything that he replaced in the back of my truck. All that was there was the clutch plate which he said was 50% worn but wanted to replace it since the engine was out.

I was going to replace the master cylinder today but may just fill it up and see what happens.

Damn and damn!

Old 01-07-2006, 01:45 PM
I checked the clutch assembly, tranny, and the master cylinder.

The master cylinder wasn't as low as I thought but I added fluid to it, pumped it a lot of times, and drove it around the block.

The clutch is now very sensitive. I barely let off it and it engages. This is EXACTLY how it was after I got it back from my engine rebuild nearly a year ago.

Now, I don't know what this apparatus is but I'll describe it: On the back of the truck you have the rear diff. You have the drive shaft going from it to the front of the truck.

There is a triangular mechanism with wires in it that meets up with the drive shaft. This thing is oily and a good portion of the shaft where it meets with this device is greasy too.

What is this thing and why is it oily to the point where it drips fluid?

At this point I'm happy I can drive my truck safely. I just don't know what to do now.

Do I replace the master cylinder? Do I take it to the engine shop so they can look at it? Do I take it to the local mechanic for him to diagnose.

Any suggestions based off this new information?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch Slave Cylinder Replacement